Investigation is continuing for UMass football players

University of Massachusetts Police are still investigating a fight that took place early Friday morning involving three Massachusetts football players including starting defensive back Robert J. Cobbs, who received a puncture wound to the neck during the fight.

Police have not released the identities of the other five men involved in the fight, but are looking to file charges by today or tomorrow.

“We are narrowing down the necessary interviews,” said UMPD Deputy Police Chief Patrick Archbald. “We want to progress as much as anyone.”

Cobbs started in the away game at Boston College on Saturday, and led the team with 12 tackles, despite his injury. According to Associate Athletic Director Jason Yellin, the athletic department and coach Don Brown were aware of Cobbs’ injury before game time. Cobbs is still practicing and playing with the team.

When asked by the Massachusetts Daily Collegian if the athletic department will take disciplinary action against Cobbs or the other two unidentified players if criminal charges are filed, Yellin said he had no comment at this point.

“At this point in time we are waiting for a review by the University,” he said.

Archbald says the Dean of Students Office is aware of the investigation and that the District Attorney’s office is helping to determine whether or not civil rights were violated during the fight, in which three of the men were Caucasian and three were African American. Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs and Campus Life, Michael Gargano, could not be reached for comment.

According to the Massachusetts District Attorney’s office, the DA is aware of the investigation, but is refusing comment until official charges have been filed by police.

The UMass Athletic Department’s Student-Athlete Misconduct Policy states that all student athletes are subject to prosecution and disciplinary action for any violation of state, local, and federal law as well as punishment by the University and Athletic Department for violation of University policy.

Punishment can include suspension from practice, competition, or all student-athlete privileges.