Hoops starts season against worthy foe

With all the makings of an explosive season for the Massachusetts men’s basketball team, it has to start converting skeptics today against a very talented Birmingham Southern team.

After defeating Concordia, 73-64, in an exhibition game 11 days ago the Minutemen had some concerns about their defense, their offense, and the status of their point guard and captain Anthony Anderson.

Anderson, who had only one day of practice before taking on Concordia, had a mere eight points on three for eight shooting. UMass coach Steve Lappas is quick to put that game behind him and is pleased with the progress Anderson has made.

“He’d only been back for a day before he played that game, but yea he’s definitely back to normal,” Lappas said.

One of the main issues for the Maroon and White will be its approach to a team that is extremely proficient from behind the arch. Birmingham Southern lacks a powerful game in the paint, but what it lack in size it makes up for in guard play.

With this, the Minutemen will need to shut down the perimeter and close off the Panther’s exterior passing lanes. Lappas knows that UMass’s perimeter defense has been one of its weaknesses over the past few seasons, and sees tonight as an opportunity to work on defending an adept shooting team.

“They’re a smart team and they’re a very good three-point shooting team,” Lappas said. “We didn’t defend the three-point line particularly well last year, so that’s going to be a big thing for us.”

One issue that may arise will be the health of guard/forward Maurice Maxwell, who hurt his thumb in practice yesterday. Maxwell, who is one of the premier defenders for UMass this year, went to get X-rays after practice; his status was yet to be determined.

If Maxwell is healthy, the Minutemen will start Anderson and sophomore Artie Bowers at the guard positions, and Rashaun Freeman, Maxwell, and Staphane Lasme in the frontcourt.

Birmingham Southern, who is coming off an 81-70 dismantling of Northeastern on Friday, has been slated as the pre-season favorite to with the Big South division. The Panthers 11 lettermen and three starters from last year’s 20-7 team that held a share of the Big South regular season championship.

– Bob McGovern