Minutewomen return to hardwood after week-long layoff

The Massachusetts women’s basketball team returns to the hardwood this weekend after a weeklong break between games. This Sunday at 2 p.m. the Minutewomen will host Atlantic 10 foe St. Bonaventure.

UMass will look to snap a two-game losing streak and exact some revenge on the Bonnies in the process. This current mini-slide for the Minutewomen began at St. Bonaventure on Friday when the Bonnies handed UMass a 49-35 defeat. UMass then fell at Fordham, 54-44 on Sunday.

The earlier meeting between UMass and St. Bonaventure resulted in record-setting performances for both teams. St. Bonaventure, which was ranked No. 11 in the A-10 in points-per-game-allowed at the time, held the Minutewomen to the fewest points it had ever allowed in an A-10 game.

The offensive futility wasn’t an all-time low for the Minutewomen, but it was the lowest point total during coach Marnie Dacko’s two-year tenure. The 35 points were the fewest for the Minutewomen since Jan. 31, 2001, when they registered 35 in a loss to Rhode Island.

“I’m mostly concerned with our execution,” Dacko said. “Our inconsistencies with shooting will happen. Our main concern is our lack of efficiency on offense.”

Dacko’s concerns are certainly warranted. UMass turned the ball over 27 times at St. Bonaventure and had 23 turnovers in the loss to Fordham.

“We’re just throwing the ball away, unforced,” Dacko said. “St. Bonaventure and Fordham didn’t beat us. They got the wins, but they didn’t beat us, we beat ourselves. It’s much easier for a coach to accept the fact that we got beat. But we didn’t get beat, we defeated ourselves.”

The Minutewomen (11-9, 4-5 A-10) have completed just over half of their conference schedule and currently are in second place in the A-10 East Division. Sunday’s game begins the final leg of the season for the Minutewomen as they will play seven games in the next four weeks, all against conference opponents.

Despite struggling through stretches this season, St. Bonaventure seems to be hitting its stride at the right time. The Bonnies come to Amherst riding the momentum of two consecutive wins against A-10 opponents.

The matchup with St. Bonaventure (8-12, 3-6 A-10) has added importance because the Bonnies have closed to within one game of UMass in the league standings.

Although St. Bonaventure is drawing nearer to UMass in the standings, Dacko is not ready to start checking the rearview mirror. “If we play our game, the standings will fall into place for us,” she said.

Dacko believes that UMass is close is to turning the corner and is thankful to be returning to the friendly confines of the Mullins Center this weekend.

“It’s great to be back here,” Dacko said. “It’s also great that the kids have started school. We got to a point where we were always on the road, and now there’s a change in their day-to-day activities and hopefully that will be a positive.”

Dacko doesn’t plan on making any dramatic changes to the lineup to try to jump-start the offense. She may look to some different players for more offensive contributions, but is more focused on getting consistent production on a daily basis.

One player Dacko said could add a lift to the offense is Ashley Sharpton. The junior guard is capable of scoring from the outside and Dacko may look to Sharpton for an offensive spark.

“I think we’ve really got to give Ashley Sharpton a good, hard look,” Dacko said. “She’s someone that can really shoot the three, and she’s been practicing very well.”

“It’s been a revolving door for us this year. I’d rather have seven or eight players to focus on, but we don’t have that luxury. Whoever stands out is going to get the minutes.”

The final seven contests will undoubtedly go a long way in determining the postseason fate for UMass, and clearly these next four weeks could make or break the season. While UMass is currently clinging to the No. 2 spot in the East division, a loss on Sunday could see the Maroon and White fall to as low as fourth place.

The postseason picture could clear up somewhat this weekend, but the impetus right now for the Minutewomen is to get their offense back in gear and worry about the post season down the road. Dacko is counting on the veteran players to step up their play and lead the team down the stretch.

“As a young squad with the kids looking for leadership, we have to have some people that are willing to give it all on the floor,” Dacko said. “Our kids are trying. We just have to work through this in the hopes that we’re going to get better.”