Minutemen bounced from A-10 Tournament

CINCINNATI – Freshman Lawrence Carrier scored a career-high 17 points and sophomore Rashaun Freeman scored 19 points, but it was not enough as the La Salle Explorers defeated Massachusetts in overtime 70-64 in the opening round of the Atlantic 10 Tournament. La Salle will face Xavier today at 2:00 p.m.

Carrier’s 17 points were complimented by a career-high nine rebounds, while Freeman recorded his seventh double-double of the season with 19 points and 12 rebounds. Art Bowers scored 13 points to round out the top Minutemen scorers.

Steven Smith, the Atlantic 10 Co-Player of the Year, led La Salle with 19 points. Jermaine Thomas added 18 points followed by Darnell Harris who netted 15 of his own.

La Salle (10-18) started the game hot going on an 11-to-1 run in the first three minutes of play. UMass was unable to score in the first four minutes of play until Carrier checked into the game and hit back-to-back 3-pointers.

The Mintuemen (16-12) were able to cut that down to a one-point margin just before halftime on a 14-to-4 run sparked by two more Carrier treys.

Harris hit a 3-pointer with eight seconds remaining to push the lead to 33-29 for La Salle going into the break.

The Explorers led by as many as 11 in the second half, but the Minutemen pulled within three, 46-43, with a pair of Freeman free throws with 9:47 to go.

Jeff Viggiano’s lay-up with 2:17 remaining sparked a 7-0 run capped by a 3-pointer from Bowers with 47 seconds in regulation. Bowers’ 3-pointer gave UMass its first lead of the game at 59-57.

Thomas hit a pair of free throws with 32 seconds in regulation to tie the game at 59 each and give Massachusetts a chance to win on a last possession shot.

Bowers was able to get off a jumper from the free throw line with just under seven seconds remaining, but it rimmed out allowing La Salle to grab the rebound and call a timeout. Initially, the clock showed 0.7 seconds left, but after a review, 2.2 seconds were placed back on the with La Salle inbounding and having to go the length of the court. Thomas’ half-court shot was short as time expired.

In the overtime period, Stephane Lasme threw down a two-handed dunk, but missed the ensuing free throw – one of eight missed free throws for UMass in the end of regulation and overtime.

Thomas hit a pair of free throws to tie the game, and Mike St. John hit a lay-up to give the Explorers a 63-61 lead in the overtime. St. John and Thomas each hit two more free throws in the final minute of play to go up by five, 67-62 with under 30 seconds to play.

Bowers sprinted down the court to score a quick runner to cut the lead to 67-64, but La Salle hit three of its final four free throws to seal the win.

UMass controlled the glass 48-30, converting that advantage to 14 second-chance points. The Minutemen also held a 21-0 advantage in bench points thanks to Carriers performance in the game.

Turnovers and free throw shooting, however, hurt the Maroon ‘ White as La Salle scored 24 points on 16 UMass turnovers. UMass was just 15-of-25 (60 percent) from the free throw line.

The loss was the first in overtime for UMass this season as they are now 5-1 in those games.

– Courtesy UMass Media Relations