Board of Ed urges radical changes for Springfield schools

MALDEN (AP) – The head of the state Board of Education said the state has “failed” to improve underperforming schools and radical change is needed, including possibly giving charge over struggling schools to private companies.

Chairman James Peyser’s comments Tuesday came before the board for the first time rejected improvement plans by underperforming schools.

The split 4-4 vote on plans by three schools – two in Springfield, one in New Bedford – came over the objection of Education Commissioner David Driscoll, who said he “would almost plead” with the board to accept the plans.

Driscoll, while supporting the call for faster improvement, said rejection would be a major blow to the schools, who crafted their plans following current rules with guidance from the department. He also said it would leave the state’s underperforming schools wondering what’s now expected of them.

Peyser said it was pointless to endorse plans produced under a system that offers only incremental progress as its best result.

The plans were submitted by the Normandin Middle School in New Bedford, and Springfield Academy for Excellence and Brightwood School, both in Springfield.

Despite the board’s rejection, the schools must by law apply the plans. Officials said they would do so, despite the board’s message that the whole process is flawed.