Divers search Plymouth pond for third day

PLYMOUTH (AP) – Divers searched a third day Tuesday for a 21-year-old woman and 16-year-old boy who were presumed dead after their canoe capsized on a pond.

They were expected to resume looking on Wednesday at Great South Pond for Brian Raleigh, 16, of Plymouth, and Ashley Coury, 21, of Delray, Fla.

Raleigh and Coury were among four people in the canoe when it capsized late Saturday night. The two others – Coury’s boyfriend, Dan Madden, 20, also of Delray, and Michael Raleigh, 22, Brian’s half-brother, from Plymouth – were rescued and treated for symptoms of hypothermia.

The only items recovered so far are the canoe, a sneaker, a baseball cap and a couple beer cans found floating near shore shortly after the accident, Plymouth Fire Chief Jim Pierson said.

Police Capt. Michael Botieri on Tuesday declined to comment on any aspect of the investigation into the accident’s cause, including whether alcohol may have been a factor.

Family members of the victims issued a statement Tuesday saying: “Alcohol was not the cause of this agonizing tragedy … These four beautiful people merely wanted to share a special end to a wonderful day by taking what they intended to be a short canoe ride on a still, tranquil pond on a clear and beautiful evening.

“They simply did not realize that four people were too many for a canoe, or that the water was as cold as it was,” the family said.

The four had attended a birthday party for one of their grandmothers earlier Saturday evening in Braintree, about 35 miles northwest of Plymouth. Afterward they headed to a family home at the pond and went out in the canoe, without life jackets and despite temperatures in the 30s, Pierson said.