U. Michigan ends contract with Coca-Cola

ANN ARBOR (AP) – The University of Michigan has decided to stop selling Coca-Cola products on its three campuses, effective Jan 1.

The school’s announcement comes six months after the Coca-Cola Co. said it was willing to examine its labor and business practices in India and Colombia to keep its University of Michigan contracts, worth about $1.4 million.

In June, the university said it would renew contracts with Coke beyond 2005 only on a conditional basis until the company performed an independent audit and put a corrective plan in place.

Coca-Cola has for years faced questions about its labor practices abroad, and college students have levied some of the most vocal complaints.

Michigan, which has more than 50,000 students on its three campuses, is among at least nine schools that have stopped selling Coke products citing issues in Colombia as a reason, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported Friday.

The university will suspend purchase of Coca-Cola products, affecting vending machines, residence halls, cafeterias and campus restaurants.

Earlier this year, representatives from several universities formed a commission to investigate allegations in Colombia and the company agreed to a third-party investigation. But Coke doesn’t want findings admissible as evidence in a related lawsuit against Coca-Cola bottlers.

Michigan had set a Dec. 31 deadline for the parties to agree to terms regarding an investigation.

The university and the company say they will continue to negotiate.

“The University of Michigan is an important school, and I respect the way they worked with us on this issue,” Coca-Cola spokeswoman Kari Bjorhus told The Detroit News. “These are complicated issues. We are continuing to try hard to work with the university to address concerns and assure them about our business practices.”

Michigan’s decision was prompted by a complaint last year by Students Organizing for Labor and Economic Equality.

The student group accused Coca-Cola of draining the water table in India, causing farmers’ crops to go dry; distributing bottling plant sludge containing contaminants to Indian farmers as fertilizer; selling products that contain pesticides in India; and conspiring with paramilitary groups in Colombia to harass and harm union members.

The company has repeatedly denied allegations of environmental and human rights abuses.

Coca-Cola also has reported progress in addressing environmental concerns.

-Associated Press