Betty Boop’ animator Waldman passes away

NEW YORK (AP) _ Animator Myron Waldman, who originated Betty Boop’s dog, helped create two Oscar-nominated cartoons and put Superman and Raggedy Ann on the screen, died Saturday. He was 97.

Waldman died of congestive heart failure at New Island Hospital in Bethpage, said Rosalie Waldman, his wife of 57 years.

He was instrumental in the animation of Betty Boop, Popeye, Casper, Raggedy Ann and Andy, and the original Superman cartoon series, said Jerry Gladstone, president of American Royal Arts of Boca Raton, Fla., which represented Waldman’s work.

Waldman was the last surviving head animator of the Max Fleischer Studios, a leader in the fledgling cartoon field of the 1920s which then became rivals to Walt Disney in the 1930s with its Betty Boop and Popeye the Sailor series.

Hired at Fleischer in 1930, Waldman worked on a popular series in which audiences were invited to “follow the bouncing ball” and sing along with lyrics on the screen. While at Fleischer, Waldman also originated the design for Pudgy, Betty Boop’s little dog. Two of his Fleischer cartoons, “Educated Fish,” 1937, and “Hunky and Spunky,” 1938, earned Academy Award nominations.

Waldman also assumed a major role in the animation of Superman and Popeye, and became the principal animator of “Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy,” based on the Johnny Gruelle children’s stories.

After World War II, Waldman joined Paramount’s Famous Cartoon Studios, where he was instrumental in the character design of Casper, redesigning Seymour Reit’s original drawing to the image known today.