UMass track teams close out winter season

The Massachusetts men’s and women’s track and field teams each finished their respective indoor seasons at the ECAC Championships in Roxbury last weekend. The women sent two athletes and did not score, while the men sent 17 competitors and finished 30th out of 51 teams.

The two girls who represented the Maroon and White were sophomores Kristen Bakanowski in the pole-vault and Christina DeRosa in the 5,000 meters.

Bakanowski had a stellar second year. She has a season-best mark of 12 feet and captured the Atlantic-10 Conference Indoor Pole Vault Championship for the second year in a row on Feb. 18. She became the first Minutewoman to repeat as league champ in any track and field event since Brandy Green repeated as pole-vault champion in 2002 and 2003.

At the ECAC Championships, however, she failed to clear the bar on all three of her attempts. But the opening height was a mere four inches below her season-best, which, UMass women’s coach Julie LaFreniere noted, made the competition exceptionally difficult.

LaFreniere added that many extraordinary pole-vaulters did not manage to clear the initial height.

DeRosa placed 15th out of the 23 runners who completed the course. Though she competed in the 5,000 meters only twice prior to the meet, she managed to produce a season-best time of 17:24.13, a performance that excited her coach.

“There’s a lot of fantastic athletes at ECACs, so I was happy with it. I thought she did a nice job,” LaFreniere said.

She added that, after allowing her athletes a little bit of time to rest any injuries, they will begin training for the outdoor track and field season.

Besides Bakanowski and DeRosa, LaFreniere expects to see big things from senior sprinter Elisabeth Budd and freshman shot-putter Jordan Veney, among others.

The top three finishing teams at the ECAC Championships were Northeastern with 22 points, Yale (19 points) and Duke (15).

UMass men’s coach Ken O’Brien was happy with the way his team finished off its winter season.

“[We had some] great performances,” O’Brien said. “The meet was a step above the meets that we’ve been to this year [in regards to difficulty]. I think the kids performed very well.”

The two athletes who made it to the finals in their respective events were junior Erik Hoagland and senior James Godinho.

Hoagland, though nursing an ankle injury over the last two weeks, managed to finish third in the long-jump with a mark of 23 feet, 5.25 inches, and 15th in the triple-jump with 45-11.75. He continues to impress his coach with his clutch performances.

O’Brien said the gritty performance added to Hoagland’s demonstration of being the “big-meet competitor that he has been all year.”

Godinho, however, was the only Minuteman to contribute any points for the team, coming in eighth place in the 500-meters with a time of 1:04.17. In the preliminary round, he almost broke the school record for the second time in his collegiate career. With a time of 1:03.41, he finished just .43 seconds shy of the mark that he set last season.

O’Brien mentioned that fine performances were also turned in by sophomore shot-putter Sean Calicchio and senior Jon Korhonen as well as the three relay teams.

He, like LaFreniere, said that his team will be given about a week to recuperate before practice resumes for the outdoor season. However, he had no predictions for how his team will fare in the spring.

He did mention that, come spring season, the team will be short a few valued runners. The eligibility of Andy McCarron, Jon Korhonen and Matt Clark is up, marking an end to their collegiate running careers.

“Their skills, in terms of their performances, will obviously be sorely missed,” O’Brien said. “But the impact they had on the program in terms of mature leadership and inspiration to their teammates will be missed even more.

“[The younger members of the team] are very grateful for everything that they’ve contributed to the program.”

The top three finishing schools were Penn State (71 points), Cornell (55) and Rutgers (54).

The NCAA Championships will take place next Friday and Saturday. No UMass athlete qualified for the events.