Theory of a Deadman to rock Pearl Street

Originally discovered by Chad Kroeger, lead singer of Nickelback, Theory of a Deadman will undoubtedly draw close comparisons to its Canadian counterparts. However, the differences are evident when you listen to the tracks on the band’s self-titled freshman release, even though Kroeger produced the album. Heartfelt break-ups and the difficulty of growing up without a mother dominate much of singer Tyler Connolly’s writing. It does not become tiresome, however, as the strong guitar arrangements keep the listener interested as much as they feel the connection to Tyler’s writing, since it can easily be connected to any loss he or she may have felt in life. Tracks such as the epic “Last Song” and radio-friendly rock ballad “Make up your Mind” showcase the group’s talent. Their single “Invisible Man” also gained popularity after being included on the first Spiderman movie’s soundtrack, perhaps not by coincidence, considering Chad Kroeger’s single “Hero, also from the soundtrack, became a Top 40 smash. With the release of “Gasoline,” Theory is starting to pull away from the supporting act title and make a run for headliner. Their first single, “No Surprise,” was a Top 10 smash in Canada, gaining them much-deserved recognition with their home country audience. It also garnered a lot of air play on the Boston-based WAAF station, which gave the band a notch here on the East Coast. “Gasoline” is another triumph for the guys in Theory. Connolly’s vocals shine on tracks such as “No Surprise,” a break-up anthem, as well as the ballad “Santa Monica,” which suits Tyler’s raspy voice to a T. Other tracks that stand out are “Quiver” and “In the Middle,” which is a change of tune for Connolly, as it seems as though he might have gotten past a break-up and found someone he can truly love. With Connolly on vocals and guitar, Dean Back on bass, David Brenner on guitar and the newly added Brent Fritz on drums, Theory of a Deadman is ready to make its claim as superstars. They have all the elements that have made similar bands like Nickelback and 3 Doors Down platinum selling artists. It’s only a matter of time before they are selling out the bigger venues at bigger ticket prices, so catch these guys at Pearl Street while you can. Hinder will also be playing with Theory after the success of their first single, “Get Stoned,” which was released originally as a “free song of the week” on iTunes, showing the importance that the digital music age is having on upcoming artists. Their sound is similar to a cross between Nickelback and Mudvayne. A strange combination, given the differences, but it works well for Hinder and gives them a unique sound in a very common genre. Their freshman release, “Extreme Behavior,” is out now in all major record stores. Touring their third single “Santa Monica” off the album “Gasoline,” Theory of a Deadman will play Northampton’s Pearl Street this Thursday with Hinder. Faktion will support as all three are set to play some good, old fashioned rock ‘n’ roll, which should have everyone in attendance jumping. It’s sure to have you leaving with the ringing in your ears only a screaming guitar can give. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.; show starts at 8:30 p.m.