London brings UMass success in his return

VILLANOVA, Pa.-After hitting several big plays in the first quarter against Navy last weekend, the Massachusetts football team couldn’t get much going on offense in the last three quarters of the game.

One of the main reasons was because it was without one of its key offensive weapons – senior wide receiver Brandon London. He – along with linebacker Brad Anderson – sat out that game due to a violation of undisclosed team rules.

“It hurt watching it on the TV,” said London of missing the game last week. “I hate being without my boys. I wish I could have been there, but I put that mistake behind me. All week [I was] hungry just waiting for an opportunity like this.”

This week, London returned to his usual position on the outside in UMass’ 31-21 defeat of Villanova.

Against the Wildcats, he returned in a big way. London caught five passes on the day for 104 yards and a key fourth quarter touchdown that sealed the win for the Maroon and White.

Saturday marked the fifth time in his career in which he recorded a 100-yard receiving day. Also, his second catch of the day was the 100th of his career with the Minutemen.

London’s 6-foot-4, 225-pound frame gave him an advantage over the Wildcats’ secondary all day. Allyn Bacchus – a Villanova defensive back and the team’s leading tackler Saturday – checks in at 6-feet 205 lbs.

“It’s really tough, especially when their guys are [6-foot-5, 6-foot-4] on both edges. It’s kind of like pick your poison,” Bacchus said.

Villanova coach Andy Talley echoed Bacchus’ remarks.

“There were some mismatches there with their wide receivers,” he said. “We just weren’t as physical with them as they were with us.”

The Minutemen tried going to London early in the game. On their first drive, sophomore quarterback Liam Coen tried to hit him on a deep out, but the ball fell incomplete.

Again on the team’s second possession, Coen threw to the vicinity of London. This time the two connected on a first down play that gained 34 of Coen’s 350 passing yards on the day.

London ran a deep post and made a leaping catch to haul the ball in. He had formally returned.

“I think just having the faith that we have in this receiving corps helps me out a lot,” Coen said.

London also showed his value on third down. In the second quarter, with eight yards standing between the Minutemen and a first down, Coen hit London along the sideline for a gain of 12 yards.

The play was UMass’ only third-down conversion on the drive. It set up a Chris Koepplin 33-yard field goal that brought the score to 14-10 in favor of Villanova.

London grabbed his fourth reception of the game in the fourth quarter. On the tail end of the Minutemen’s 90-yard drive, he caught a pass on third-and-goal from the 15-yard line. Coen dropped back and surveyed the field. He hit London on the left sideline at the one-yard mark.

Just before he reached the pylon, Rodney Badger pushed him out of bounds. UMass later scored on Coen’s pass to Brad Listorti on fourth-and-goal.

Then it happened. London reached the endzone later in the quarter. The score made it 31-21 and pulled UMass away from the Wildcats.

The call from the sideline called for London to run another deep post. Coen put the ball only where London could catch it. It took a diving effort, but he hauled it in for the six points.

“I’m just running the route coach calls,” London said. “I’ve been working on my routes all summer. When I know it’s a passing down I’m trying to get open and make it easy for Liam.”