Ballot question may let food stores sell wine

BOSTON-Opponents of a ballot question that would let grocery stores sell wine took their case to the steps of the Statehouse on Wednesday, saying the change could lead to a spike in drunken driving fatalities and increased underage drinking.

Former Spencer and Winthrop Police Chief Tom Shamshak, flanked by police and lawmakers, said more than two dozen police chiefs already have signed on to oppose the question _ known as Question One _ which he said would undermine the progress Massachusetts has made battling drinking and driving.

“Question One would completely upend Massachusetts’ system of liquor licensing,” he said. “It would more than double the number of liquor licenses.”

Opponents of the question include Ron Bersani, grandfather of the teen for whom “Melanie’s Law” was named. The law, approved last year, toughened the state’s laws on repeat drunken drivers.

The question is pitting liquor stores, who oppose the change, against convenience and grocery stores, who support it.

Backers of the question, which will appear on the November ballot, say the easing of the liquor laws will give consumers more choice and brings more competition to the market. They said most other states allow the sale of wine in grocery stores.

Kim Hinden, a spokeswoman for supporters of the question, said the liquor stores are trying to whip up public fears when the issue is really economic for them and an attempt to quash competition.

“It’s a scare tactic,” she said. “This isn’t a public safety issue, it’s an economic issue for them.”

She said the question would give local cities and towns the sole authority to grant the new form of liquor licenses _ wine in food stores _ and set fees, which could be used for enforcement.

Both sides also have been making their case with competing television ads.