Dylan never reached pinnacle of songwriting

Bob Dylan is known as a folk music legend and a pioneer of the folk-rock genre. He is credited with articulating the feelings and thoughts of a generation in rebellion against the government and any authority figure in sight.

And while Dylan stood on the front lines and pioneered a new form of music with some pretty stiff resistance (see the 1965 Newport Folk Festival when he went electric in front of the purists), writing songs like “The Times They Are a-Changin'” that spoke to millions, he has always had limits to his popularity and his talent.

Dylan’s iconic status was a matter of mere good timing. Dylan’s success ended with the 1960s. He did not have the voice, the versatility in songwriting and instrumentation or the stage presence to continue his success beyond the 1960s and the baby boomer generation. While Dylan put together some outstanding songs, he rarely combined superb vocals, instrumental virtuosity and well-articulated lyrics into one tune. And while Dylan might be one of the best lyricists in the history of American music, to call him one of the best songwriters is an egregious exaggeration. There are several artists and bands that (in my humble opinion) outclass Dylan in popularity, transcendence, as musicians and as songwriters. Bruce Springsteen is my main example. Had Springsteen come along 10 years earlier (his first album debuted in 1972), he would have eclipsed Dylan 10-fold in popularity. Springsteen entered his prime in the 1970s when the United States was in a state of disillusion after the ugly ending to the Vietnam War in 1972, Watergate and the oil crisis. Americans didn’t know who to trust and realized that their protests and grievances were not going to be heard by their own government, which didn’t listen to the anti-war sentiments among its citizens until the damage abroad had already been done.