UMPD charges 34 more in link to December riot

For the second time in about a week, the University of Massachusetts Police charged more students in connection with the December riot in Southwest, according to a press release.

Criminal charges were filed Wednesday by the UMPD against 34 additional people, 31 of them students, a UMass News and Information press release states. In total, 57 people have been charged in connection with the riot, and more cases could be forthcoming. The cases were filed in Eastern Hampshire District Court according to the press release.

A total of 11 people were arrested the night of the Dec. 15, 2006 riot, 10 of whom are students. Following an extensive investigation, the UMPD announced on Feb. 14 a second wave of criminal charges against an additional 12 students. ____________________________________________

MULTIMEDIA: Audio slideshow: The riot investigation ____________________________________________

According to the press release, the UMass Dean of Students Office has been moving forward with disciplinary action under the Code of Student Conduct.

“So far, 55 cases have been completed. Five students have been expelled, 28 suspended and 22 received deferred suspensions. Eight students have been removed from university housing as part of their discipline,” states the press release.

The incident occurred following the UMass football team’s 28-17 loss to Appalachian State on Dec. 15. After the conclusion of the game, about 1,800 students gathered in the Southwest plaza. Several police officers were injured during the riot and about $100,000 in damage was reported.

In January, Deputy Chief of police Patrick Archbald said his department was pursuing a full investigation into the riot. He said detectives used video footage from campus cameras and from YouTube.com, photos from cell phone cameras, facebook.com and MySpace.com in an effort to identify the accused.

“We have no intentions of stopping until we’ve identified every single rock thrower and every single person who is responsible for the damage,” Archbald said in a Jan. 25 interview.

Eric Athas can be reached at [email protected].