Students differ on observing Jewish holiday

While Jewish students at the University of Massachusetts will be excused from class without any official repercussions for three days this September to observe religious holidays, those who do so will lose out on valuable class time early in the semester.

According to the UMass student handbook, state law “requires that [UMass] excuse any student who is unable to attend classes or participate in any examination, study, or work requirement because of religious observance.”

“There are about 2,500 Jewish students at UMass and they will be doing different things this Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur,” said Ruthie Oland, program director of the Hillel House. “Some will decide to go home, some will attend Orthodox or Egalitarian services at Hillel, some will go to classes and observe the holidays in a personal way, and some will not observe in any way.”

However, some Jewish students will not be observing Rosh Hashanah because of the consequences it may have for them in the classroom.

“I’m Jewish, and I consider myself a pretty religious person, but I’m still unsure if I’ll be missing class next week,” said one student who asked not to be named out of fear of the social repercussions that may evolve from his opinions. “Part of me wants to because I feel it’s the right thing to do, but at the same time, school is just starting and the last thing I want to do is fall behind on my work. I’m torn both ways on this.”

According to the UMass Office of Jewish Affairs Web site, “Jewish law does not recognize gradations of importance among ‘holy days’ – those holidays, or portions of holidays, when Jewish law prohibits work or travel. However, Jews who do not observe all holy days are most likely to be at synagogue or home celebrations-and abstain from work-on Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Passover and the weekly Sabbath.”

Religious observation is a very touchy subject for faculty as well. Many who were asked to comment for this article declined.

“I am not the best person to ask about this,” said Aviva Ben-Ur, a professor in the Judaic Studies department.

Excusing Jewish students at UMass from three days of classes to officially celebrate Rosh Hashanah also raises a question: If one major religion, like Judaism, has their holidays observed, should every religion get the same recognition?

In many public high schools and grade schools, the students and faculty are granted days off for Christian holidays, such as Good Friday, but not for other holidays such as Rash Hashanah.

“[Observing religious holidays in school] should be decided by town or city. It would make sense in areas where Jewish people make up a certain percentage of the population,” said Oleg K., a sophomore UMass student.

While Oleg will be observing Rosh Hashanah next week, other Jewish students will choose to observe the holiday in other ways, based on their level of belief.

Rosh Hashanah is often referred to as the Jewish New Year and begins this year on Wednesday, Sept. 12. When translated in Hebrew, it literally means “head of the year.” It is the beginning of 10 days of penitence, called the “Days of Awe.” They end on Yom Kippur, which is also referred to as the Day of Atonement.

Jewish tradition says that on Rosh Hashanah represents the day God created “Adam” ? which in Hebrew means “human.” It is the Christian equivalent of celebrating the seven days in which God created the earth, humans and other forms of civilization.

Regardless of their level of religious belief, members of the UMass Jewish community will still honor their New Year celebration, whether they are in class or not.

Andy Smith can be reached at [email protected].