Real Talk broaches homosexuality talk

As an extension to their AIDS Week programs, the Black Student Union (BSU) hosted “Real Talk: Homosexuality” Wednesday night in the Kennedy residential hall.

The forum generated conversation on the views held by attendees of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) community.

Casimir Maziarz, the event coordinator for BSU, screened a self-made DVD prior to the discussion. Maziarz had interviewed UMass students on their feelings in general toward people who identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender.

Vanessa Laine, a sophomore at UMass, was interviewed by Maziarz on her reaction to the hypothetical of having a gay brother.

“Well first of all it would be funny, because I can’t picture my brother being gay, but all I really care about is his happiness,” Laine said.

Mohamed Vandi, the secretary of BSU, served as the forum’s moderator. He opened the discussion with a few remarks, saying that everyone should keep and open mind and remain respectful. Vandi also asked the attendees to reflect on the video they watched.

“On camera, people try to be politically correct, people don’t keep it ‘funky’ in front of the camera when it comes to their views,” said Michael Gary, the assistant resident director in the John Adams residential hall.

One student said he doesn’t have a problem with gays or lesbians, but dislikes when they flaunt their relationships.

In response, Malcolm Gray, the president of BSU, said, “If you see a straight couple kissing or holdings hands, a gay [person] might think heterosexuals are flaunting it.”

Attendees were asked to deliberate their stances on gay marriage.

“What is marriage?” Gary asked. The forum came to consensus with a definition of marriage being the union between two people who love each other and have a ceremony. The attendees were asked if people in the GLBT community had a right to marry.

“They [don’t] get life insurance if they passed [away], no benefits, your life partner gets no benefits,” said UMass senior Kenji Summers.

Kyle Oldham, resident director in James hall, retold the story of the injustice suffered by a lesbian, because doctors didn’t sign the legal papers that would have allowed her to see her dying partner.

This forum enlightened those in attendance, with national and international views on the GLBT community, according to attendees.

“I grew up in New York City. There is a large population of [gays and lesbians]. We have an issue with them because of AIDS or HIV. In Brooklyn they are scared about it,” said Summers.

Vandi explained that there is no correlation between this topic and the World AIDS Day. The GLBT community is not the hub of disease, he said.

“I come from a country where if you are homosexual, you are stoned. We should appreciate that we live in a country where we can talk about it,” said sophomore Fadumo Tahlil.