No snow days for physical plant crews

Ground Services at the University of Massachusetts has been hard at work plowing through another winter of wild weather in the western half of the Commonwealth.

According to Jack Rogala, supervisor for Landscape Services, the mess left over from this winter’s abundance of snow has been dealt with thoroughly.

The operation is “well orchestrated to serve a tight, compact city,” he said.

During snow emergencies, Physical Plant Grounds Services is responsible for maintaining the safety of the 1400-acre campus and its 94 acres of parking lots, 20 miles of roads, 50 miles of sidewalks, nine acres of plazas and terraces and over 200 buildings.

During each heavy snowfall, over 60 workers from Grounds Services, private contractors, and volunteers from other departments are hard at work clearing safe pathways for the UMass community.

The proactive management team meets at least eight hours before a storm is predicted to start planning the most effective strategy. Grounds Services consults local weather reports and the Amherst Police Department to determine the possible severity of the situation both on and off campus.

The team also goes over the University’s schedule to accommodate for any events that may be planned throughout a day of winter precipitation. University Health Services, the UMass Police station, and the dining halls are given first priority; followed by buildings that may be hosting special events.

With two inches or more on the ground, work crews start plowing, keeping the roads on campus clear throughout the storm.

The storm’s timing also plays a role in decision making.

If it is predicted that snow will fall throughout the day, the judgment call to cancel classes and other campus activities is submitted through the University chain of command.

The decision is passed on to the director of the Physical Plant, who passes their recommendation on to the Vice Chancellor of Administration and Finance. The recommendation is presented to the Chancellor, who makes the final decision.

John Deere loaders, farm tractors – reconfigured as snow blowers – and several dozen 10-wheelers are then put to work clearing snow away from the roads and sidewalks.

“They do a good job compared to other schools