Casting Crowns to spread good word at Mullins

castingcrowns.com

Despite the lack of name recognition they receive from the average college student, the Casting Crowns have a sizable number of accomplishments to their name. The band, who debuted in 2004, has quietly amassed a huge following amongst the Christian rock faithful with their spiritual soft rock tunes and is now taking their show to the Mullins Center.

Casting Crowns have recently been anointed with the title of “most played artist on all Christian radio formats combined,” according to statistical polling. Since the band’s inception they have racked up seven number one hits and sold more than three million albums. During this time Casting Crowns has also garnered the critical acclaim to back up its popularity, winning a Grammy Award, an American Music Award and several Gospel Music Dove awards, which are the main awards for Christian music.

The band consists of seven members, five men and two women, all of whom are more serious about their commitment to serving God than worrying about the band’s success. While not on tour, the band remains active in their local church services; it is one of the central goals of the band to not let their professional career outweigh their spiritual obligations. Several of the band members spend their free time as youth pastor leaders with the intent of instilling the values of the Bible onto a younger generation.

The band is currently on tour behind their third album, “The Altar and the Door,” and is showing no signs of losing its current momentum. The album debuted at number two on the Billboard 200 chart, and has gone on to sell more than half a million copies in the first two months of its release. Their tour has also seen similar success as it was the top grossing Christian music event of 2007.

The band, which features the conventional instruments of a rock band plus a violinist and pianist, is led by singer and songwriter, Mark Hall. Hall strives for honesty in his lyrics and uses the album title as a metaphor for the band’s struggle of maintaining Christian values in their hectic everyday life.

“When we’re at the altar, everything makes sense,” Hall says. “We know what we’re supposed to do. Everything’s black and white. But somewhere between the altar and the door, when we leave and go out into our lives, it all leaks out, and everything gets gray again.”

Casting Crowns will arrive at the Mullins Center with some distinguished opening acts. John Waller is a singer/songwriter who, like the headlining band, also works in his spare time as a worship leader. Waller recently left his position as the front man for the indie Christian rock band, According to John, and hopes to find equal success with his solo debut. His new album, “The Blessing,” hits stores this March and its first single, which features guest vocals by Hall, is currently circulating the airwaves.

The Casting Crowns website has information about the band; everything from song downloads to information on each member’s favorite biblical verses. Casting Crowns and John Waller, along with fellow Christian rock band Leeland, hit the Mullins Center this Friday, with tickets ranging in price from $20 dollars all the way up to $70 dollars for floors seats.

Peter Rizzo can be reached at [email protected]