Earn your degree at the BreUniversity

An education on LIFE! to the Mullins Center.

Tonight Jim Breuer brings the BreUniversity Tour: An Education on LIFE! to the Mullins Center at 8 p.m.

In a phone interview Breuer spoke about his beginnings, satellite radio, the current tour and why he was counting down the days to the University of Massachusetts show from the start.

Ryan McAskill: You have been a stand-up for a long time. How did you start?

Jim Breuer: An amateur night. That was the beginning. That was the first stand-up. But I was cocky and I never really speared the stage. Once I did it I never turned back. I was right out of high school. By the time I moved to Florida I can honestly say I played everything and anything with the exception of strip clubs. Local clubs, talent shows, tiki bars, beaches, street performances. I just played any place that would give me time.

RM: Did you know comedy was something you always wanted to do? How exactly did doing stand-up start?

JB: Sixth grade I was in Ohio and my sister was playing a Steve Martin record. And I remember thinking it was the funniest thing in the world. I had never heard such a thing as comedy on a record. I learned the whole thing by heart. [Steve Martin] was the beginning, then I saw Richard Pryor and I saw George Carlin and HBO and it never ended past there.

RM: So comedy was something you knew early on you wanted to do?

JB: Without a doubt. I knew by sixth grade that performing and being funny performing [was for me], I didn’t know if I was going to be wearing leather pants with a kangaroo [or] a rock star. I knew it was going to be funny and entertaining. Plus, I was fat and had to fend people off.

RM: So if you weren’t doing comedy do you have any idea what you might be doing?

JB: I’d be a teacher somehow.

RM: Any subject in particular?

JB: Probably more of the social worker line. I can say that now but who knows? I might [have been] a waiter forever.

RM: With your work on “Saturday Night Live” who do you get asked to do more: Goat Boy or Joe Pesci?

JB: Oh, Goat Boy