Free speech ought to be free

Dear editor:

Re: “Free speech at a high price,” Josh Wilder, Ed/Op, Feb 19, 2008.

Josh Wilder suggests that the Danish newspapers that re-printed images of the Muslim prophet Mohammed in a provocative manner did so out of bitterness. Wilder seems to say that while the Danish papers should be allowed to publish these cartoons, they ought to have reconsidered in light of what could be described in one word as “respect.”

Wilder fails to see that by provoking discussion within the Muslim world, the West is asserting the liberal value of free speech. While we cannot do much to change the lack of human rights seen in many of the 57 Muslim countries on Earth, Denmark is leading the way in standing up for Western (read: classical liberal) values.

Does the Muslim community show respect when Iran hangs gay teenagers? Does the Muslim community show respect when Palestinians murder thousands of Israelis in suicide bombings? Did the Muslim community show respect to the 3,000 Americans that were murdered in half an hour by a group of Islamists on 9/11?

In all of these instances, there has been barely a peep from mainstream Muslim organization denouncing these crimes against humanity. The least thing we should be concerned with is whether we Westerners are being polite. To focus on a stupid cartoon is to take precious attention away from the people who need it most – Muslims who are oppressed by Muslim governments and Westerners who are oppressed by Islamists.

Not to mention, that just below Wilder’s column appeared a cartoon comparing a Bush administration official to Hitler. Such a comparison is offensive. Yet, you don’t see Jews or Americans burning UMass embassies, now do you? Maybe the Muslim world should take note of the prevalence of Western freedom of speech.

Matt Hoffman UMass student