Lacrosse players no longer enrolled

The three members of the men’s lacrosse team who were arrested earlier this month for their alleged role in an off-campus incident are no longer enrolled at the University of Massachusetts.

Associate athletic director for media relations Jason Yellin confirmed that Christian Haggerty, Ryan Marcus and Christopher Casey are no longer students at UMass.

The three individuals were arrested for allegedly participating in a beating at 304 North Pleasant St. on Feb. 1.

Coach Greg Canella suspended five other players for involvement in an off-campus incident, but their status remains unchanged as the student athletes continue to serve their indefinite suspensions.

Though the 2008 season has already begun for UMass, the possibility remains for the five players to rejoin the team.

UMass officials are restricted by federal law the information they can release about students. Spokesperson Patrick Callahan said that the University is not permitted to reveal if a student has been charged in violation of the UMass Code of Student Conduct. The University can only confirm or deny if a student is still enrolled at UMass.

The Dean of Students office has the prerogative to expel students based on charges of violation of the student conduct, even before criminal charges are prosecuted in a court of law.

Amherst Police also confirmed that the investigation of the incident is ongoing and that no other individuals have been arrested in connection with the beating.