More then just a watering hole

Keith Toffling

There are many places around the University of Massachusetts campus to get a beer. From partying to holding office hours, the art of drinking is an important aspect of college life. On Friday the Graduate Student Lounge, the only place on campus to sit down and get a beer, officially re-opened following a winter of change.

Over winter break, the Graduate Lounge, which is open to all persons of legal drinking age, underwent renovations to create a more welcoming atmosphere and to bring more people in. The changes include a flat-screen, High Definition television above the bar, a pool table, newly-painted walls and a new sound system.

“Those are the main ones,” said Paul MacGregor, manager of the Grad Lounge and 2000 Umass alumni. “The ceiling is obviously new, the lighting, sound system, TV, paint job, pool table. We also took some furniture from Union Billiards and moved it over here.”

The renovations are part of an overall plan to change the way people look at the Grad Lounge.

“We just wanted to create more of an atmosphere here,” said MacGregor. “Last year it was just plain colored walls, no TV, no real energy in here. We just wanted to make this a place where grad students and really anybody, could enjoy.”

While the major renovations are done, the Grad Lounge is far from being complete.

“We’re still looking to put some things up on the wall,” said MacGregor. “They’re very bare right now. We’re also looking to get some feedback from grad students and other people I work with and see what they think and what we can add.”

One thing that has yet to be finalized is the hours-of-operations. Posted as Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., closing time will be determined by late night patron traffic.

“Last semester we didn’t get much business later at night,” said MacGregor. “We feel now that with the TV, people are more likely to stay later, and we are open to changing hours and staying open later if that’s what needs to be done. There is nothing stopping us from staying open late. I don’t see us being open until 1 a.m. like the bars downtown, but pushing it back to 10 p.m. or 11 p.m. is certainly an option.”

All the changes to the Grad Lounge were done with a focus on grad students, though completing the project was met with some resistance.

“I wouldn’t call it opposition,” MacGregor said. “There has always been a struggle as to what to do with this space. This space is open to everyone, but it was originally designated a long time ago as grad student space. Our first priority is to run a space to keep the grad students happy. That’s why we want feedback from the GSO and the GSS and grad students that walk in.”

With the Grad Lounge’s focus on the graduate community, MacGregor is hoping to eventually open a second bar on campus that will be geared toward undergrads and faculty.

“I’d love to open a separate other location somewhere geared more towards undergrads and faculty on campus,” said MacGregor. “It’s not in the plans right now. We are going to see how this place does first. There are obviously problems with drinking on campus in the dorms, and we just don’t feel that the political atmosphere is ready for another bar to be opened on campus just yet.”

There are events planned for the future to help promote the renovations, but for now the focus is on opening up and getting patrons served.

“We’re going to be doing some free pool nights and karaoke nights down the road. Right now we just wanted to reopen, get people in and get their suggestions. The work on the ceiling and lights and the paint job took a long time, and we are going to work on the decorations as we go along.”

In terms of selection, the beverage options have not changed. Items on tap include Pabst Blue Ribbon, BBC Steel Rail, Sam Adams Seasonal, Magic Hat Circus Boy and Guinness ranging from $2 to $4 per pint, or $7 to $12 per pitcher. The bottled beer cooler includes all the common brews ranging from $2.75 to $3.50.

For wine, they offer a small selection of Red and White including White Zinfandel, Pinot Grigio and Merlot.

There have been additions to the nonalcoholic beverage and food selections. Coffee and some breakfast items like pastries are making their first appearance; and water, soda, the chip rack and pizza still remain.

On opening day, the Daily Collegian beer dudes were some of the first patrons to the new Grad Lounge and with empty cups in front of them, give the place two thumbs up.

Ryan McAskill can be reached at [email protected].