MTV casting at UMass Tuesday

The University of Massachusetts will host a casting call for Season 21 of MTV’s “The Real World” Tuesday, Feb. 12. The show documents the events that unfold when seven strangers live and work together over the course of five months. The program is MTV’s longest-running series.

MTV last visited the Pioneer Valley about four years ago. Casting manager Damon Furberg said he likes the “particular style and personality” that Massachusetts has to offer.

“We look for characters from real life; people with strong personalities who are unafraid to speak their minds,” Executive Producer Jonathan Murray told the press.

Furberg said ideal applicants are “unique from the rest of the world,” and have interesting backgrounds. He added that for this season, the show is hoping to return to the more refined personalities featured in earlier seasons.

“We want the show to be less ‘party central’,” said Furberg.

Particularly, MTV is looking for candidates that consider themselves “activists” that stand for social, political or environmental causes. As Furberg put it, “we want people who are passionate outside of their own wants and needs.” He compared this description to Pedro Zamora, the HIV/AIDS educator from “The Real World: San Francisco,” which aired in 1994.

Roommate Parisa Montazaran from “The Real World: Sydney,” which aired in 2007, said her ability to speak her mind on global issues was what made her stand out in the casting process.

“I was able to answer a lot of questions about Afghanistan and Iraq [asked to a group]