New state bill to fund University life sciences

The Massachusetts House, in partnership with Governor Deval Patrick, proposed a $1 billion dollar life sciences bill, some of which plans to support the University of Massachusetts.

The bill was proposed on Feb. 14 and seeks to distribute this money over a 10-year period toward scientific and biotechnical advancement in the Commonwealth. House speaker Salvatore F. DiMasi announced the bill that would strongly support UMass by providing $200 million for campus facilities.

The proposed legislation contains $90 million in projected capital spending for UMass Medical School’s planned research center in Amherst, $11.4 million for UMass Dartmouth’s technology and manufacturing center and $5.7 million for a stem cell bank and registry at UMass Medical School. $30 million dollars in graduate-level scholarship money will also be provided by the bill.

“Certainly the bill still has to go through the legislative process in terms of getting passed by the house, then senate, and finally signed by Governor Patrick,” said University president’s office spokesperson Robert P. Connolly. “After that it would be hard to say. I think once passed in law, scholarship money should be readily available. Of course nothing would change overnight.”

Because this bill looks to relieve UMass of capital spending by focusing on infrastructure, this could possibly alleviate a fraction of tuition fees. “I think that the bill will not affect me personally,” said UMass student and athlete Stephanie Aguauo. “However, the research center will generate jobs and advances that will help Massachusetts as a whole.”

House leaders have not said how many jobs the legislation would potentially create, though Patrick has estimated that it would approximately bring 250,000 jobs.

Amara Anosike can be reached at [email protected].