Obama: The candidate for change

With John Edwards’ recent drop from the race for the White House, many registered voters are still split between which democratic candidate to vote for.

“It’s time for me to step aside so that history can blaze its path. We do not know who will take the final steps to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, but what we do know is that our Democratic Party will make history,” said John Edwards as his campaign for president came to a close on Wednesday January 30, 2008.

Indeed, the results from Super Tuesday’s primaries shows that the two remaining major candidates are still neck and neck.

As you ask people who they are planning to vote for they are passionate about their candidate – and rightly so. Each of the candidates has a lot to offer to the people of the United States.

Senator Barack Obama from Illinois is the best choice who not only has the most consistent voting record among the two democratic candidates, but is also the candidate who can best bring together a country torn apart by eight years of George W. Bush.

Obama’s journey is a quintessentially American one – raised by a single mother and his grandparents and always on the move. His voice is one of reason that shares a story resembling many of our own dreams and struggles. Obama heart appears sincere, and his hopeful message is one of change; and different from the politics of cynicism that so often ends up in the White House.

His is an image of the future of the United States; his bi-racial background is one that is shared among millions living within the United States. As Howard Dean said the other night, simply look at the candidates of the Democratic Party. We have a Hispanic, African-American, and a woman. This is a party that is growing to incorporate the most prominent views of the people who they represent.

The growing support Obama has gained shows that the tables are turning in Washington. People are tired of a political system that gets nothing done and focuses more on petty name-calling. Citizens are looking for a president who will end the war in Iraq, refocus national security on defeating terrorism and aiding returning veterans.

Workers across the nation are losing jobs to corporations who take advantage of tax loopholes that make it cheaper to produce goods in other countries. Senator Obama wants to close this damaging loophole. His economic stimulus plan will give a break to middle class workers.

Barack Obama has consistently supported a woman’s right to choose and has an extremely supportive voting record with organizations such as NARAL: Pro-Choice America and Planned Parenthood. He is a fervent supporter of stem cell research and wants to give scientists the tools they need to end Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and other crippling diseases. As a State Senator in Illinois, he reformed the death penalty, forcing police to videotape all interrogations of suspects. Barack Obama also in support of partner benefits for same-sex couples.

In the United States Senate, he worked closely with Senator Kennedy on immigration reform – a plan that would have allowed illegal immigrants a path to legalization. His ethics reform plan was the most sweeping since Watergate. It put new constraints on lobbyists and put an end to the free meals and many gifts that would often influence a Senator or Congressperson’s vote.

As you head to the polls this November, ask yourself what you want in a President. Robert Kennedy put it simply when he said, “In this difficult day, in this difficult time for the United States, it is perhaps well to ask what kind of a nation we are