Radiator explodes in Herter Hall

With new construction all over the University of Massachusetts campus, maintenance issues in current buildings have recently been a problem.

The explosion of a radiator on the second floor of Herter Hall provoked concern from students, especially those in the room when it happened.

“There was a big old bang; I’m sitting on the left side of the room and I see everyone on the right side stand up,” said Devin Ashe, a senior political science and Chinese major.

“The puddle expanded; the liquid was steaming too,” Ashe said.

Other students in the room had similar reactions.

“Water just started pouring out of the heater,” said senior sports management major June Chen. “It covered about one-third of the room,” she said.

The radiator exploded at approximately 2 p.m. on February 12, in the middle of a class in Herter 225. The malfunction and its subsequent flooding forced everyone in the Chinese 433 course outside.

There is concern that the malfunctioning device may not be fixed, or could break down again.

Although the radiator was open two days later, it had not been fixed by then.

“I think it’s pretty unacceptable how academic departments on campus are under-funded and unable to secure adequate space when millions are spent on New Dirt projects,” Ashe said.

The Physical Plant was contacted on Friday, and they have planned to fix the device before the start of last weekend.

“The University needs to fix old things,” Chen added. “What would have happened if it had really burst or blown up?”

Classes scheduled to be in Herter 225 have not yet been relocated.

Devon Courtney can be reached at [email protected].