Small brothers lead Minutemen in N.H.

The Massachusetts men’s ski team rebounded from a disappointing first day of the Plymouth State Carnival on Jan. 26th and 27th as sophomore Matt Small impressed for the Minutemen.

Small finished in fifth place with a combined time of 1 minute, 40.87 seconds, while sophomores Andrew Hawes and Ian Hohmeister finished fifth and eighth in the Slalom, respectively, on Friday.

Senior Jason Small struggled in the slalom but finished first in the giant slalom Saturday with a time of 2:13.55 seconds.

Overall, the team came back and had a great skiing day on Saturday, moving into second place in the Eastern Collegiate Ski Conference.

The Minutewomen moved into third place in the ECSC thanks in part to senior Eliza Hawkins, who placed third in the slalom event with a combined time of 1:35.46 seconds.

Freshman Jamie Taloumis took over the giant slalom event, coming in second by one one-hundredth of a second and finished fourth with a total time of 2:22.56 seconds.

Last weekend, the team traveled to New Hampshire to compete in the MIT Carnival.

The men’s team finished third behind Boston College and Plymouth State, as Matt Small finished eighth in the slalom with a total time of 1:58.05 seconds, the only top-ten finish for the Minutemen in the event.

Sophomore Travis Hopkins finished 14th with a total time of 1:59.57 seconds, while classmate Adam Pogorzelski and junior Alex Zahoruiko finished out of the top 25, with 2:00.48 seconds and 2:02.59 seconds respectively.

The Minutewomen were impressive for a second consecutive week, finishing second behind Colby-Sawyer College at the Carnival.

Hawkins finished second in the slalom, while sophomore Ashley Hawes and Taloumis rounded out the top ten.

Sophomores Heidi Skinner and Lauren Levey were also successful in the slalom, finishing in 23rd and 31st place, respectively.

The women’s team got some bad news when they found out that freshman Amy Gifford would be lost for the year with a torn ACL and meniscus.

The men’s team continues to be in second place in the ECSC, while the women are still in third place behind Colby-Sawyer College and Boston College.

Next weekend, the team will travel to Vermont to compete in the Boston College Carnival.

David Brinch can be reached at [email protected].