Strike held after demands not met

Brian Tedder/Collegian

Approximately 90 students gathered as the United Student Action Coalition (USAC) rallied in support of its negotiating team. The crowd gained volume and numbers as the rally continued and voiced its concern that the administration has not done enough to meet the coalition’s original demands, which sparked the Nov. 15 and 16 strike and forced the Whitmore Administration building to close for the strike’s first afternoon.

Following the strike, USAC members presented the administration with a packet that outlined their demands for diversity funding and outreach programs, a rollback of student fees, student control over student space and against police presence in student dormitories.

USAC member Ruth Thompson, a consistent presence at the negotiating table, described the November strike as a historic event of which those involved should be proud. She said the fact that students were afforded the opportunity to approach key administrators in the areas of University finance, student life and law enforcement was unprecedented.

But Thompson said the negotiations were not as easy as they were historic.

“[The process] was somewhat frustrating because they’d tell us one thing then on paper they’d tell us something different.” She said the group was effective in changing the policies of the University Of Massachusetts Police Department. Though administrators from within the department said publically that its officers do not perform unwarranted searches of rooms and do not make a practice of patrolling residence halls, Thompson said students now have a greater voice in how the department works through student participation on a newly-created board that oversees police conduct.

USAC member Heather McCormack said the purpose of the grievance was not to remove police from dorms. In light of the recent violent crimes reported on campus, McCormack stressed to students that the USAC’s aim was to protect students’ rights when dealing with police officers rather than removing police from public dormitory areas, a presence she said comforts some.

Thompson added negotiations involving student fees went less smoothly, that the administration replied simply that there was little money to work with. Thompson said this response was expected as the University’s Board of Trustees deals with tuition.

The beginning of the negotiation process went slowly and resulted in the USAC’s releasing a statement on the meetings that were, until Jan. 17, deemed ineffective.

“We unanimously feel that we are essentially and continuously having a one-sided discussion with members of the administration,” reads a report issued on that day.

Since then, meetings between the two groups worked toward compromise. An official response to the demands from the administration was slated for release on Friday, Feb. 22, but was pushed back one week to this Friday. Once released, students will have the opportunity to vote on the results.

According to the negotiations’ ground rules, “Before agreeing to a final report, the student representatives will convene a student-wide forum to discuss any proposals contained therein.” The document continues, “The student representatives will only agree to the changes proposed by a final report if such a report has been approved by a majority vote of students at this forum.”

If rejected, students present at the forum will decide how to continue.

Will McGuinness can be reached at [email protected].