Varying results for softball over weekend

The Massachusetts softball team went 2-3 in five games at the Palm Spring Classic over the weekend in Cathedral City, Calif. Next week UMass will be in Columbus, Ga., for the NFCA Leadoff Classic.

Against Michigan State (4-5) yesterday, junior pitcher Brandice Balschmiter went seven innings, allowing one run on six hits, while striking out 10 and walking none. UMass improved its mark to 4-6, with a 5-1 win over the Spartans.

The game was scoreless through the first two innings, and in the top of the third UMass played small ball to get its first run. Sophomore shortstop Whitney Williams doubled to left center to start the inning. After a sacrifice by third baseman Whitney Mollica advanced Williams to third, sophomore Carly Normandin doubled to score Williams for the first run.

Balschmiter only made one mistake on the day during the bottom of the fourth when senior catcher Caitlin Mahoney homered to tie the game at 1-1.

The UMass bats broke the game open in the fifth and sixth innings as it scored three runs. In the fifth, senior second baseman Stacy Cullington hit a run-scoring double; and in the sixth inning, Mollica hit a two-run homer with two outs. In the seventh inning, Samantha Salato provided some insurance as she homered to left center.

On Saturday, UMass scored three runs in the fourth inning to sneak by Fresno State, 4-3. With the Minutewomen trailing 1-0, senior outfielder Lauren Proctor reached on a fielder’s choice and knocked in sophomore catcher Jessica Serio. With runners on second and third and one out, freshman designated hitter Audrey Boutin singled to center to score two more runs.

Sophomore pitcher Bailey Sanders went six innings, giving up four hits, three runs (two earned) and striking out one. Balschmiter came on in relief during the seventh to pick up her first save of the season.

In the first game of the double-header on Saturday, the Minutewomen played 13 innings against Arizona State, losing 4-2. It was a duel between two of the top pitchers in the country with Balschmiter and Arizona pitcher Taryn Mowatt. Both pitchers went 12 scoreless innings. The Wildcats broke the game open with a four-run 13th. With a Wildcat runner on third and one out, Mollica committed an error on a hard grounder to third. The Wildcats took the 1-0 lead and continued to pile on as they hit back-to-back singles. With the bases loaded, pinch hitter Victoria Kemp doubled, and all three runners scored.

In the bottom of the inning, UMass scored two runs but could not complete the comeback.

On Friday, UMass dropped both games in the doubleheader, first to UCLA, 4-2, and then to Baylor, 6-4. UMass committed three errors against UCLA; Balschimiter went six innings while giving up eight hits and two earned runs. Against Baylor, Sanders struggled only pitching two and two-thirds innings, giving up seven hits and five runs.

Steve Games can be reached at [email protected]