Walt Disney World:

Amanda Lund

In the late 1960s, Walt Disney had a crazy idea. Crazier than making full-length animated films for a living, crazier than building a living on a cast of mice, ducks, and dogs, crazier even than opening theme parks based on those animals. Disney had the crazy idea of one united Earth, where everyone lived and worked in harmony, using new technologies to benefit everyone, not for new power plants or weapons of mass destruction. He called this place EPCOT – Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow.

Today, Epcot is a favorite destination of many a Disney guest. Opening in 1982, the park has 11 countries represented in its World Showcase, employing people who call those countries home, along with the front section completely devoted to technology and new innovations. There is so much to do and see. Art Ramos, a cast member at Disney for the past four years, had the right idea when he said you need “three days for Epcot – a day for the front, a day for the showcase, and a day for stuff you want to do again.”

Now of course, spending three days at one park is not an economical use of time for the average Disney-goer, so here are the top rides and shows to experience while in Epcot, along with tips to make the most of the World Showcase.

A lot of people are unaware that the huge thing resembling a golf ball at the entrance of Epcot is actually a ride, called Spaceship Earth. Guests travel back to the beginning of recorded time, taking a trip through history to discover the evolution of communication. At the end of the ride, during your return to “present” time, you are asked a series of questions, which then are compiled to show you your own future. It’s worth a visit if only just to say you’ve been inside the Epcot ball.

If you’ve ever wanted to travel through space, this is the ride for you. Located in Future World, Mission: SPACE “sends” you to Mars, but not before you get a briefing by Gary Sinise. If you’re prone to motion sickness, you might want to go on the green line version, that omits the spinning to simulate the G-forces. If you want the real space experience, go for the orange line, where you are so plastered to the back of your seat you can barely move.

Test Track makes you the test dummy in this GM test track simulation. At one point, you are racing through the open skies at 67 mph, and another time you are sent through intense heat, cold and corrosive materials. Soarin’ simulates a hang glider ride over the beautiful scenery of California. This is a great ride, and definitely one to Fast Pass, if you can find it. Down a long pathway in a building called The Land, Soarin’ is not to be missed.

World Showcase is a beautiful collection of 11 countries from around the world. The best way to enjoy the showcase is to eat and drink your way around. Each country, from Mexico to Norway to Italy to England have restaurants serving ethnic food – most have both sit down and take out places. There are kiosks serving beer and other mixed drinks unique to each of the 11 worlds..

Some countries have rides, like Norway’s Maelstrom, and others, like China, have videos about the culture and heritage. Each country has shops selling traditional wares from the country.

The biggest draw to Epcot is the nighttime fireworks, IllumiNations. Set to music, the fireworks are a breathtaking display, during which a mechanic Earth floats into the World Showcase Lagoon. The Earth is a giant screen, displaying scenes from around the world. If there is one fireworks display to see, it is Epcot’s IllumiNations.

After about 50 years of making dreams come true, Disney has only gotten better, and will continue to get better for years to come.

Stephanie McPherson can be reached at [email protected]