All you need is love

Brian Tedder, Collegian

For many college-age students, more of their time is devoted to finding and defining their romantic relationships than to studying. Whether it is texting that cutie from calculus class, calling a girlfriend, or having a one-night stand with that guy from the bar, young adults at the University of Massachusetts are trying to make love work.

When on the prowl for love, one of the most difficult aspects is finding that special someone – even if they might only be special until the next morning. The college scene can be a catalyst for budding relationships and personal interactions.

At this stage in life, where many students are trying to figure out who they are, dating can be an attempt to define one’s self through relationships with others. College is a time of experimentation and personal growth, which is why there is such a difference between what people consider the ideal relationship.

For sophomore Alon Rivel, finding that special someone was as easy as attending orientation, where he met his boyfriend of one year, Tyler Dobshinsky. The two were close friends at first, but began dating in March of last year. Now they live together in a dorm on campus. Not only have they overcome the difficulty of forming a relationship, they have overcome the barrier of living together on campus, something straight couples in regular dorms can never do.

For junior Tatiana Ryan, her relationship came at a much faster pace – in fact, in under a year she was married. “We started dating May of my freshman year,” she said. “By October, we knew that that was it, so we got engaged. We got married on Dec. 9.”

Before meeting her boyfriend, Tatiana had no idea that the relationship in her first year of college would escalate so quickly.

She said, “I always thought that I was going to get married more like [when I was] 26-27 instead of 20