Charges increase for ’08-09

In a decision made by the University of Massachusetts Board of Trustees Finance Panel, UMass student charges are being raised 3.1 percent.

The decision was made in keeping with the agreement to keep student fee increases below the rate of inflation.

“The increase will generate over $23 million over all of the five campuses,” said Robert P. Connolly, spokesman for UMass President Jack Wilson’s office.

The increase was made in accord with Wilson’s commitment to keep the fees and tuition from rising faster than the rate of inflation.

“For the fifth consecutive year, Wilson has kept the tuition and fee increases underneath the inflation rate, which is currently at 3.6 percent,” Connolly said.

Over 20 percent of the projected revenue will be awarded to financial aid for those who attend one of the UMass colleges. The exact amount is predicted to be about $4.6 million.

“This increase in state-based tuition will make it possible for students and their parents to not have to be asked for large amounts of money,” said Connolly.

But, many students aren’t happy about the extra money they may have to pay because of the increase.

“My mother told me to start looking at Ivy League schools, with what we’re going to be paying for me to go to UMass,” said freshman Rosie Walunas, who is currently the UVC News producer.

“I really don’t like coming here, so I don’t like it when fees go up,” she said. “It’s expensive for a public school.”

Massachusetts has increased its funding for higher education and financial aid to $85 million for 2008, an increase of 143 percent from $35 million since 2003.

This is a different approach toward funding for higher education, and is an alternative to a tuition-and-fees freeze in higher education in Massachusetts.

“When tuition froze for five consecutive years, the next generation of students and their families had to pick up the tab,” said Connolly.

Historically, Massachusetts has not financially supported its public universities as well as other states. The fee-and-tuition increase is intended to help change that image.

“It’s a key underlying issue,” said Connolly. “With the UMass campus buildings deteriorating and the large amount of new construction, the state, which is one of the three suppliers of higher education funding, can increase its contribution.”

Plans to allocate the money indicate that the highest priorities are addressing the costs of campus construction, supplying applicants with larger amounts of financial aid, and the support of the Amherst 250 plan.

“We want to continue to hire faculty and retain faculty, as part of the 250 plan for the next few years,” Connolly said.

Devon Courtney can be reached at [email protected].