Justice 101: it begins with conversation

You have all probably seen the Justice for Jason table at the Campus Center, the flyers all over campus or the Facebook group for the cause. I saw the flyers up by the Campus Center and decided to read the summary. And while I don’t usually like to get involved in causes, because they are sometimes blown up for effect and, in my opinion, overreacted to, there was something about this case that just shook me. To be completely honest, the flyers do not do the case justice; and although this is essentially a hate crime, the use of the words white and black instead of the names of the assailants and victim seem to separate people even more.

The facts of the case in and of themselves are enough to get the message across, and issues that raise questions of freedom, justice and equality should be supported by the majority of the community. Isn’t this what Dr. King’s intent was – people being judged by their character, not their color? Now, I understand the racial implications and facts of this case, but I don’t believe that you can rally a united support by excluding a certain group. Wording is always important.

With that said, this case, one of a few incidents that have occurred in the five college area since the fall which have clear racial overtones, hits me the hardest. If you can be in your dorm, be racially insulted and provoked, have assailants trespass and find yourself in a violent altercation simply because of the color of your skin, what do you do? I’m not sure about others, but I would hate to be in that situation because I don’t know what I would have done.

The arbitrariness of this crime is appalling. It could happen to any student of color, period. Now I’m not saying that there should be no charges at all; however, I’m simply saying that if there was ever a case of clear self-defense, this is it. And when you have multiple assailants, maybe a weapon isn’t excessive force. But that’s for a jury to decide. However, you should not be charged with everything under the book that could possibly be applied. That seems to me to be overkill and show’s the agenda of the state.

On a campus where there have been several threats and with the escalation of violence not only on our campus but nationwide, this raises the question: what can be done if anything to stop the violence? The answer is a difficult one. Sources note that universities and colleges are not so dangerous as cities, but this does not say much. Arbitrary campus shootings, bomb threats and other violent altercations are on the rise, and campus communities are struggling with a solution to this problem. It is easy to prevent violence if each student is kept under lock and key. It is more challenging a problem in a society that values freedom.

The message that is given to students by the administration is that a safe community requires their active participation. The role of police is facilitating safety, not assuring it. It is difficult to have a campus community that fosters growth, learning, as well as people’s rights and is safe in today’s society. Short of having police and video cameras everywhere, encroaching on people’s freedom and civil liberties, I’m not sure if there is anything that can be done to deter these crimes. What I do know is that, against this violent backdrop, we as a community cannot allow hate-motivated crimes to occur on our campus, regardless of what type of person is being victimized (white, black, Latino, gay, Asian, disabled, etc.). Hate crimes have always been present in the United States, but most would like to think that racism and overt race-driven crimes are a thing of the past. Although it is general knowledge that racism seems to have become more institutionalized and less blatant over the years, people do not realize that hate crimes still occur every day – until it happens to them or someone they know well.

Many people think that hate crimes only occur in the South, where racial tensions were always strained; however, the reality of the situation is that this occurred here on a college campus in “liberal Amherst.” What this says to me is that some people in this area think one way but present themselves in a way that is politically correct. The racial incidents of the past semester-and-a-half alone have shown that conversations about race need to happen in this area, and what needs to change are people’s attitudes about others who are different from them.

Ignorance is not bliss. Educate yourself. After all, you are attending a university and know what is appropriate or not in society. What I am dumbfounded by is the fact that someone can dress up in blackface while claiming ignorance of the implications of such a costume. What I don’t understand is how college students can be so ignorant of the history of their own society. Do we not learn anything at all?

This is not an issue of a minority group being too sensitive; it is offensive to hear about these events. I mean, what kind of progress have we truly made if people’s attitudes do not change with the laws? The only good thing I see coming out of this is the opportunity to have honest conversations in the community about issues that might be seen as divisive. I just hope that it accomplishes something. If you have the opportunity, go to the Justice for Jason rally today and show your support. I know I’ll be there.

Sada Farah is a Collegian columnist. She can be reached at [email protected].