Letters to the Editor

To the Editor:

Have you seen the bus messages about UMass students and alcohol? It’s likely – 96% of students have! It’s also likely you’ve wondered about the part of the message saying, “We got the facts from you.”

Right now, the University’s Center for Alcohol and other Drug Abuse Prevention (CADAP) is doing just that – getting the facts from undergraduate students, through an anonymous e-mail survey conducted by the Boston University School of Public Health. This is the third year of the survey, which asks questions about alcohol and other drug use and non-use. The survey methods produce results representative of all undergraduate students. Because the questionnaire can’t be traced back to respondents, it’s easy to be completely honest.

After we receive the survey results, we share them with students, campus leaders and the community through bus ads, posters, table tents, reports, presentations and news stories. The findings are big news because what we’re learning about students and drinking is different from what many people think!

The perception that UMass Amherst students are out-of-control partiers is deeply entrenched on campus and in the community. But research shows most students don’t drink heavily and, in fact, practice healthy behaviors. The past two surveys found that two out of three students have four or fewer drinks when they party and nine out of 10 students know how to have fun without alcohol.

These findings have a major impact because of the discrepancy between perception and fact. The goal of these social norms messages, and of all CADAP initiatives, is to help students make informed decisions so they can stay healthy and achieve their academic and personal goals. The deadline for this year’s survey is the end of this week. If you’ve received one, we encourage you to take this important opportunity to be heard. We’ll be listening!

April McNally Health Educator Center for Alcohol and other Drug Abuse Prevention University Health Services