McCormick scores four to break four-game losing streak

PJ Stanley, Collegian Staff

The Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team snapped a six-game losing streak on Saturday with a 13-10 win against the Boston College Eagles.

Eagle attack Jenna McCabe netted the first two goals of the day past UMass freshman goalie Colleen Speth.

The Maroon and White then rallied back with four straight goals, the first coming from sophomore attack Stephanie Hopkins, followed by senior captain Kathleen Typadis. Sophomore midfielder Merritt Cosgrove and senior defender Jeannette Villapiano found the back of the net shortly after that.

The Minutewomen (2-6) excelled on both offense and defense against the Eagles. Typadis and junior attack Kaytlin McCormick each had four goals on the day. McCormick padded her team-lead in goals while Typadis finally hit her stride as one of the team’s most potent offensive threats.

“It was a total team effort,” Typadis said of her high-scoring game. “The past couple days we’ve done a lot of reps with driving to the net lefty-lefty [closing in on the goalie’s left side from the left side of the field].”

A big part of UMass’s effective play was its ability to control draws. The Maroon and White held an 18-to-seven advantage over the Eagles in draw controls, an area UMass coach Alexis Venechanos noted was where the Minutewomen’s momentum started.

“It was great to get a win,” she said. “I think it started with Kelsey [Schreiner]’s draw. It was a great team effort.”

Schreiner’s draw control led to McCormick’s capping off her four-goal performance with the game-winning score midway through the second half. McCormick also had a ground ball to her credit. The four goals tied a career high for her.

McCormick led UMass’ impressive effort in free-position shots. Three of McCormick’s goals were off of free-position shots. The Minutewomen were six-of-eight in free position shots, while BC only converted two-of-five.

The Eagles were productive with clears, however. BC went 11-of-14 in clears, while UMass went eight-of-12. The Eagles also played an incredibly physical game, earning 38 fouls to the Minutewomen’s 22; although, both teams were given yellow cards in three occasions.

Junior defender Jackie Rosenzweig led the Minutewomen defensive effort. Rosenzweig grabbed three of UMass’ 12 ground balls and caused one turnover in spite of collecting five fouls.

“Jackie’s a sparkplug back there,” Venechanos said of Rosenzweig’s physical play.

“She took some chances when she needed to, and she gets her teammates fired up.”

Villapiano aided Rosenzweig on the defensive end with a ground ball and forced a turnover but also helped out on offense. Villapiano had three draw-controls and notched two goals, one coming off a free-position shot.

Freshman midfielder Haley Smith also scored for the Minutewomen, the first of her career. Smith’s goal came by way of a free-position shot midway through the first frame.

Speth (1-4) was as noteworthy as any of her teammates. The first-year goalkeeper had nine saves, two ground balls and forced a turnover on the day: by far her best outing of the season. Three of Speth’s losses came against ranked opponents, two of which were against teams that were ranked in the Top 15.

“She had two quick goals on her, and she stayed composed,” Venechanos said. “She’s a real leader and they [the Minutewomen] love playing in front of her.”

BC would have had 11 goals against Speth, but referees waived off Costello’s second goal after they deemed her stick to be illegal. The ruling was that the pocket on Costello’s cross was too deep.

The Eagles had a 28-to-27 shot advantage over the Maroon and White, but most of their shots were erratic.

UMass will return to action on Tuesday afternoon when the New Hampshire Wildcats enter Warren P. McGuirk Alumni Stadium to start conference-play for the Minutewomen.

Mike Gillmeister can be reached at [email protected].