Mfuko runs for Student Trustee with confidence from GSS

Despite being the only graduate student running in the upcoming Student Government Association elections, Augusta Mfuko feels she is the right choice for student trustee. “I’ve experienced all of the issues,” said Mfuko, of the School of Education at the University of Massachusetts. “I want to represent others going through the same.” Mfuko’s platform calls for change within the UMass system. Her ultimate goal is to provide students with a more affordable, quality education because she has also struggled to pay for her education. Involved with last November’s general student strike, Mfuko is a staunch supporter of student rights, including diversity funding and the rollback of student fees. “Most students don’t know their rights,” Mfuko said. “We held workshops about student rights during the strike because many students didn’t know their rights and responsibilities.” Mfuko graduated from American International College in Springfield with a bachelor’s degree in human services in 1992 and a master’s degree in finance in 1998. She is currently pursuing a master’s degree in multicultural education at UMass. She serves as the treasurer of the Graduate Student Senate and president of the African Graduates and Scholars Association, an organization that advocates on behalf of African issues and research. She also sits as a member of the Graduate Student Senate’s finance committee and Childcare Voucher Program committee. Her activity in the local graduate community has made Mfuko believe she has gained the support of the graduate student population. “They know their voice is my voice,” she said. Overall, Mfuko remains confident that the elections will go well. Though she is running for student trustee without a presidential candidate paired with her, Mfuko is not worried about the effects running independently may have on her chances for success. “This is not the first time I’m running independently while others are running as couples,” she said. “I ran alone for my job as treasurer of the Graduate Student Senate while others had partners. As long as you are the right candidate, you will get it.” Kaitlyn Silva can be reached at [email protected].