No tuition increases for UMass students

The Board of Higher Education (BHE) decided not to increase tuition this year for the University of Massachusetts system, as well as state and community colleges. The Feb. 29 decision is the 10th year in a row that the BHE has decided not do so. “The Board of Higher Education is the entity that sets tuition for all higher-education campuses,” said Joyce Hatch, the vice chancellor for administration and finance at UMass Amherst. “However for the most part, tuition is returned to the state and not kept on campus so the Board knows there is no advantage to the campuses to raise tuition.” There is a small catch, however. “One of the few exceptions to that law is that the Amherst campus can retain the out-of-state tuition, but the Board still keeps tuition level,” said Hatch. “They know that it is through fees that the campuses will benefit from an increase.” Fees are a hot topic at UMass, especially surrounding the recent Student Government Association (SGA) elections. “I don’t think that tuition really affects us so much as the fees do,” said UMass sophomore Nate Rugo. “The fees cost way more money.” Tuition seems to take a backseat to fees in terms of student concern. “The fact that we’re paying so much to go to a state school shows that there’s something wrong there. I mean, the fees are just ridiculous,” said sophomore Alex Silber. “Our University Board of Trustees is the body that can set the fee levels and [on March 5] the [administration and finance] subcommittee of the Board of Trustees voted to raise in-state fees by 3.1 percent and out-of-state fees by six percent, which will net an increase in revenue next year so that the campus can cover many cost increases.” This decision was partly based upon the inflation level in Massachusetts. “The trustees know that inflation is at 3.6 percent in the state, and they were being reasonable with the 3.1 percent in-state increase,” said Hatch. While students will not have to pay more for tuition next year, fees are clearly on the minds of many. “I think it’s important that anyone who wants to go to college can afford to do so,” said junior Sean Moore. “I noticed that I’ve had to take out more loans, and it doesn’t make much of a difference whether it’s coming from tuition or fees. I just know I have to pay more money.” Part of the revenue that the school will make from these fees will go toward financial aid for next year. “The campus has committed to set aside an additional $2.7 million for need-based financial aid next year to address the affordability issues with needy students,” said Hatch. According to the BHE Web site, in-state UMass students paid $1,716 in tuition with fees of $7,886. Out-of-state UMass students paid $9,937 with fees of $9,384. These figures are based upon fall full-time undergraduate state-supported rates. Eden Univer can be reached at [email protected].