Semi-Pro’ doesn’t hold up to Ferrell standard

“Semi-Pro” hit theaters on Feb 29 and quickly became the number one movie in America. Starring Will Ferrell and Woody Harrelson, this comedy about a 1970s basketball team brings the laughs. Like many classic Ferrell movies, he is an absurd athlete who can not help but be funny no matter the circumstances.

Ferrell plays coach, owner and player Jackie Moon who will go to any length to get his misfit team, The Tropics, into the NBA. Harrelson plays Monix, the cool, calm foil to Moon. The two play well together both literally and figuratively in the film. Ferrell and Harrelson’s characters try to help the team perform to their greatest capabilities.

The Tropics play in Flint, Mich. to a lowly crowd of misfits who themselves are desperate for success. Father Pat, a priest with an attitude, is the referee who is often just as vulgar as the players. With run-of-the-mill players and fans, The Tropics become the people’s champions, but in a sports parody kind of way.

Ferrell and Harrelson are also accompanied by several other familiar faces both on and off the court. Andre Benjamin from Outkast was an unexpected player on the team with a fairly large role. Maura Tierney plays Harrelson’s love interest. Of course, some of Ferrell’s “regulars” show up. Will Arnett (“Blades of Glory”) is a commentator, Andy Richter (“Elf”) plays Moon’s assistant/best friend and David Koechner (“Anchorman”) is the commissioner of the basketball league. Like in most Ferrell movies, seeing these actors is inevitable but still surprising.

“Elf” producer, Kent Alterman showed off his knowledge of the Ferrell-style in his direction of this film. It can not be said enough – “Semi-Pro” is classic Ferrell. His crazy hair and wild antics (like fighting a bear for the audience) are what makes him both comical and iconic. Jackie Moon could be straight from a Saturday Night Live skit. With his monotone voice and pauses in just the right places, Ferrell makes Moon a loveable, laughable underdog.

The slapstick comedy in the film is quite risqu’eacute; at times, with obscene language that gives the movie its deserved “R” rating. Swearing is at an all time high for Ferrell, but with movies like “Superbad” and “Knocked Up” fresh in our minds, it seems normal for a comedy of this magnitude. The language only adds to the humor.

However, “Semi-Pro” is no “Anchorman” or “Old School,” which are considered classics amongst college aged kids. It will go down with Ferrell’s other “athlete” movies and was definitely good for some laughs. Like many of his movies, seeing it for a second or third time will probably make it even better. “Semi-Pro” is another “Blades of Glory” or “Talladega Nights,” both funny movies, but not Ferrell’s best.

“Semi-Pro” will not disappoint all those Will Ferrell fans out there, but to those who do not have an opinion about Ferrell may not agree. It is not for those who can not handle grotesque language or for people who want a comedy with a “that could so happen” plot line.

Ferrell does not disappoint, the humor is in your face, the cast is dynamic and if you liked his other sport related movies, be sure to check out Semi-Pro.

Krista Cosco can be reached at [email protected]