Sketch-22 Brings Comedy to Campus

Graham Radetsky, Collegian

Sketch-22 performs their first show of the semester Saturday, March 8, in Herter Hall room 231 at 8:00 p.m. Students across campus and the community will gather to watch the comedic talents of University of Massachusetts students. Sketch-22 is the student-run comedy group of Student Valley Productions (SVP) of the Pioneer Valley.

SVP is the umbrella corporation of Sketch-22, Mission: IMPROVable, and Improve with attitude, all groups are student-run and receive funding from the University. The director of Sketch-22 is Danielle Soto and producer is Sam Punia, both UMass students. The group has three performances a semester at Herter Hall. Performances usually consist of 15 to 18 sketches ranging from 10 seconds of nonsense to eight minutes of more-so-sense. Every second of comedic nonsense is written, produced, directed and performed by the entire Sketch-22 group.

Sketch-22 formed after the downfall of the original UMass sketch group, Casual Sketch. The previous sketch group disbanded on campus after members lost interest. However, the tradition of sketch comedy survives on campus as Sketch-22 with an unrelenting vengeance of tears and stomach pain caused entirely by non-stop laughter.

Joseph Heller’s popular novel, “Catch-22,” is the basis for the group’s name. “Catch-22” suggests that one is a victim, regardless of the choice one makes. Along those same lines, Sketch-22 believes that every audience member is a victim to their comedy no matter what choice they make – as long as one shows up to the performance. Sketch-22 also uses a plane as its symbol, further illustrating the connection they created to Heller’s novel.

The performances are rehearsed and many are recorded. A sketch “usually tells someone’s story, or gives the audience a glimpse into the life of someone or something”, adds producer Sam Punia.

Worried that Saturday’s performance will be just like any other comedy show seen on campus? Sketch-22 showcases only original acts written by student members and anyone in the community who wishes to contribute. However, not every suggested story makes the cut. Each voting meeting brings in up to 50 different sketches, fully written and ready to be performed. Out of the 50 only approximately 15 to 20 sketches are chosen for each performance, but every performance showcases 15 to 20 new sketches.

Though the group has discussed creating a connection among all sketches in a performance, only one underlying theme has entwined Sketch-22’s shows as of yet.

“When we all bring our sketches together to vote on which ones will get into the show, we never really think about themes,” said Punia. “The only theme I can think of would be … comedy. I think comedy is definitely a theme we aim for.”

Even more so, Soto adds that the pauses between each sketch allow the audience to react and “laugh as long and hard as they wish,” before the next sketch.

The comedic talent encompassed in the group shows a broad range between newcomers and oldies, yet everyone contributes equally to each rehearsal and performance.

“I think the range of talent in Sketch-22 is tremendous. We have so many talented writers and performers. Everyone brings his or her own writing and performance style. I think the best part about sketch is that everyone is excited to perform and make people laugh,” Punia said.

Soto, a sophomore and psychology major, plans on sketching for the rest of her life.

“I dream of being on Saturday Night Live when your favorite cast was on,” she says. Within Sketch-22, Soto runs meetings and organizes performances.

As the producer of Sketch-22, Punia also organizes different events. He is a senior at UMass, studying theater.

Saturday’s performance hopes to be “a ridiculous break after a long week of studying,” said Soto. Members of Sketch-22 come together as a group to laugh, make others laugh and tell jokes.

According to a laughing Soto, “prepare yourself for big laughs. Expect acts of perversion with fruit, dramatic scenes from a chemistry lab, a lot of screaming, classroom romances and of course, time travel – past and future.”

Punia added, “it will be the greatest event in UMass on-campus sketch comedy that you’re going to find.”

Jennifer Leclair can be reached at [email protected].