Techno, dance and satire mix in new CD

The quirky musical collaborations of the London-based quintet Hot Chip has reached their pinnacle in the band’s third studio release. Having dropped only a few weeks ago, “Made in the Dark” is steadily receiving widespread praise and recognition not only in the United Kingdom, but also in the United States as well. SPIN dubbed the indie rockers “artists to look out for” in 2008.

Members Alex Taylor, Joe Goddard, Owen Clarke, Alex Doyle and Felix Martin released their first full-length album, “Coming on Strong,” in 2004 and received much criticism. Their Simon and Garfunkel-channeled harmonies were suitably deemed lifeless and repetitious.

The band took the criticism and ran with it, channeling a sound similar to the British techno craze imploding the indie club scene. Maintaining an open mind, the guys pulled inspiration from various artists including fellow pals, LCD Soundsystem, of which Doyle is also a member. The result was a giant step forward for the group in terms of songwriting and production.

The 2006 release of their second album, “The Warning,” brought in a Mercury Prize nomination in addition to an Album of the Year nod from Mixmag, the world’s largest selling clubbing and dance music magazine. After six years as a band, their style has collectively evolved into a unique, edgier electro-rock sound, something to officially take pride in.

“The Warning” snowballed into Hot Chip’s latest musical creation, “Made in the Dark.” The band conserves their catchy dance-floor beats with the kick-off song, “Out at the Pictures.” The track sets the stage with an eerie, one-minute synthesized introduction only to be followed by the creative up-tempo syncopated rhythms Hot Chips fans know and love.

Their anomalous explosions of sound encompass much of the album. “Ready for the Floor,” the first single off the new release, is nothing short of contagious. The repeated homosexual innuendo, “You’re my number one guy” is sure to keep listeners tuned in, never mind chuckling.

The somewhat risqu’eacute; comedy shtick persists throughout the album, particularly in the song “Wrestlers.” The knee-slapping lyrics are a comic strip all their own, continuing to keep listeners on their toes. Frontman Alex Taylor sings, “I’ve got a roll of coins, I’m aiming for your loins and I will never stop.”

There is no need to be fooled by the band’s monstrosity of outlandish wisecracks. Despite its perpetuation of solar-powered dance grooves, Hot Chip adds more ballads to this record than ever before. It’s pleasant to the ear and develops an ideal counterbalance to their more upbeat songs.

The album’s title track channels soul and blues with outstanding, heartfelt lyrics slightly reminiscent of 1970s great Jackson Browne. Frontman Alex Taylor’s angelic vocals steal the song with a more passionate and sincere vibe than ever before in addition to impressive harmonies. He passionately croons, “Every night the motion must be fixed by glue but babe, be careful, what’s fixed as one breaks in two.”

Other ballads such as “Whistle for Will” and “In the Privacy of Our Love,” are equally satisfying to the ear. Although the notion of having multiple ballads is something fairly new for Hot Chip, the addition of another serenade would have made for a nearly flawless album.

Impressively enough, no song on the record sounds the same. Each frenzy-filled techno ditty possesses its own distinct characteristics.

The band must be doing something right as “Ready for the Floor” is steadily climbing the U.K. singles chart. Each band member brings impressive skills to the table, generating an addicting melodramatic pop-rock commotion sound all their own.

Heather Waxman can be reached at [email protected].