Track Teams head to Boston for separate, prestigious events

The Massachusetts men’s and women’s track and field teams travel to Boston to compete in separate major events this weekend.

The women race at the ECAC Championships, while the men run at the IC4A Championships

The men will send 13 qualified athletes to compete in the state’s captial. Tyler Cotto will run in the high hurdles, Josh Boone will run in the 1000-meter run, Andrew McCann in the 3000-meter run, and Nicolai Naranjo and Jesse Regnier will show what they can do in the 5000-meter. In addition to those runners, the Minutemen will have eight other athletes competing in two relays, the 4×880 and the distance medley.

Men’s coach Ken O’Brien looks forward tothe prestigious event.

“It is the biggest and second-best collegiate track and field championship meet in the United States, second only to the NCAA Championships,” he said, referring to the IC4A Championship.

O’Brien hopes his team comes away with several points at the event, as well as at least a few athletes that will qualify to compete next week at the NCAA Championships.

At this meet, over 90 colleges will be represented from a region stretching from Northern Maine, as far south as North Carolina and as far west as Pittsburgh, Pa..

The Minutemen face the toughest competition on the East Coast, and will look to gain some recognition. This meet, along with the NCAA Championships next weekend, is one all athletes dream of competing in, and those athletes who missed the opportunity this year will look to work even harder next season.

The women’s team competes in a meet just as important at the Reggie Lewis Center in Boston. This meet is against the elite competition from the Eastern College Athletic Conference and is quite an honor for the few distinguished women who will be competing.

The Minutewomen have several athletes looking to continue their strong seasons, including junior Kristen Bakanowski.

UMass coaches are constantly looking to get more athletes into these qualifying events, and though the school will be supported well, it, like all schools, is always looking to improve.

Sam Grossack can be reached at [email protected].