Tracks teams compete at New England Championships

This past weekend, the members of the Massachusetts men’s and women’s track teams that qualified, competed in the New England Championships at Boston University.

Connecticut shined over the weekend as its athletes swept both sides by a decisive margin. The Minutewomen finished in 13th while the men finished in 12th.

On the men’s side, Jesse Regnier and Andrew McCann were the top point-getters, each placing fifth in the 5,000 and 3,000-meter runs, respectively. Regnier finished his race with a time of 14 minutes, 50.90 seconds; just 13 seconds behind winner Curtis Wheeler of Southern Maine.

McCann finished the 3,000-meter in 8:28.05, qualifying him for the IC4A Championships. He finished 11 seconds behind Ahmed Haji of Providence, and only three seconds in front of the sixth-place finisher, fellow Minuteman Jonathan Pierce.

Other noteworthy Minuteman performances were put in by Tyler Cotto, who finished sixth in the 55-meter hurdles with a time of 7.70 seconds. Junior Josh Boone finished seventh in the 1,000-meter run with a time of 2:31.63. The men also had two relay teams that didn’t score any points this week, but qualified for next weeks IC4A Championships.

For the Minutewomen, Kristen Bakanowski was the top scorer, finishing second place in the pole vault and nabbing eight points for the team. This high finish just adds to her strong resume for the junior, as she is preparing for big things in her senior season.

The Minutewomen also received high points by Christina DeRosa and Shivi Zan, who finished third and eighth, respectively, in the 3,000-meter run. DeRosa finished 28 seconds behind leader Marisa Ryan of BU, who set a New England Championship record with her time of 9:15.63.

Danielle Bolt and Gina Perno turned in two other point-winning performances for the Minutewomen. Bolt finished seventh in the 55-meter dash with a time of 7.26, while Perno finished fifth in the 1,000 meter run.

It seems both the men and women’s teams will look to improve next season and get more athletes into the qualifying championships, but before that there is still the IC4A Championships next week for the men, and the ECAC meet for the women taking place in Boston. The week after both teams will be participating in the NCAA Championships to close out the indoor season.

Sam Grossack can be reached at [email protected].