UMass to play in USF Under Armour Classic

Brian Tedder, Collegian

The Massachusetts softball team defeated the No. 2 team in the country in Texas A’M, 4-1, last week. However, UMass coach Elaine Sortino is frustrated with the other losses.

“I think it’s frustrating, quite frankly, we’ve had heartbreaking losses.” Sortino said about the teams start. “We’ve been in every game and our record could easily be 12-2.”

UMass (6-9) will be in Clearwater, Fla., for the USF Under Armour Classic. The Minutewomen will face Raford (12-5), Florida International (8-18), Indiana (4-14) and Rutgers (6-8).

UMass went 2-3 two weeks ago at the NFCA Leadoff Classic Saturday in Columbus, Ga. Junior pitcher Brandice Balschmiter allowed one run in a win over the No. 2 Aggies.

Balschmiter was also named Atlantic Player of the Week for her performances in Columbus. She went 1-2 and recorded a save in a 6-3 win against Auburn. Against No. 19 DePaul, she gave up two runs (one earned) over 7 1/3 innings in a 2-1 loss. Overall she had 23 strikeouts in three starts.

The Minutewomen have faced nine teams ranked in the Top 25, recording two wins. The pitching has been a strong point this season for the Maroon and White, boasting a team ERA of 1.55. Balshmiter has a 1.15 ERA.

“I think we know what we can do, we just have to finish,” Sortino said.

The Minutewomen starts the tournament on Friday against Radford. Radford did not play the 2008 Buzz Classic because it was canceled due to tornados and heavy rain that was followed by snow and wind that made the field unplayable, according to the Radford Web site. Radford has already played two games in Florida this week, winning against Fordham, 6-4, and Penn State in eight innings, 1-0. Senior pitcher Ashley Taylor went all eight innings to get the shutout. Taylor is 6-3 with a 1.62 ERA.

Sortino likes how the defense, with a .953 fielding percentage, has played lately. However, on the offensive end she would like them to score more runs and give the pitching more support.

“[The fielders] ability to handle the ball more consistent is becoming more evident,” she said. “I think offensively we just have to break out. I don’t think our offense has even tapped what we are capable of. We can hit the ball.”

The Minutewomen are hitting .218 over the first 15 games. Sophomore first baseman Sarah Reeves is the only player hitting above .300. She is hitting .302 with an on-base percentage of .400.

In Friday’s nightcap, the Minutewomen play Florida International. Senior shortstop Monique White leads the team with .433 batting average and seven home runs. FIU defeated Quinnipiac Wednesday night in a doubleheader, 13-2, and 3-2. In the first game White broke FIU’s all-time home run record by hitting her 20th career home run. In the next game, her 21st home run was a walk-off.

Though the Minutewomen do not play any ranked opponents, Sortino feels the competition is just as tough.

“The parity in this country is just incredible,” she said. “There are 25 teams that are ranked, but there are many other great teams. We have to respect our opponents.”

After the spring break the Minutewomen will start A-10 play at Fordham.

Steve Games can be reached at [email protected].