Nightlights a fixture at McGuirk

Matthew Harrison

The University of Massachusetts got its own “Friday Night Lights” for this semester as McGuirk Alumni Stadium readied itself for more nocturnal activity.

The summer project, headed by Facilities and Campus Planning, featured the installation of Musco Light-Structure-Green stadium lighting fixtures.

According Shane R. Conklin, deputy director of Facilities and Campus Planning, the “green” lighting system saves energy, by allowing light levels to be adjusted. Conklin said that everything depends on the needs of the activities. Practices and night games require different levels of energy ranging in kilowatt demand between 87.58 to 247.11 kilowatts per hour, he said.

The lights were ready for kickoff Aug. 30 and, according to Athletic Director John McCutcheon, are expected to set a trend of more frequent night games.

“Having permanent lighting will make night games and late afternoon games possible on a regular basis. We anticipate a combination of day, late afternoon and evening games in future schedules,” said McCutcheon.

Energy efficient does not mean cheap, he added.

“The installation, which includes significant upgrades to the lighting around the stadium and infrastructure, is estimated to be approximately $1.8 million.

McGuirk Stadium did not have permanent lighting previously. Temporary lighting structures have been used in the past, however.

Funding sources for the light are being sought from private and public sectors.

If money is available, McCutcheon said there are more improvements to be made to the support building, locker rooms, rest rooms, meeting spaces, concessions areas, press box and parking lots of the stadium.

Gisel Saillant can be reached at [email protected].