Just treats for UMass

When one thinks of Halloween, the first things that come to mind are candy, pumpkins, skeletons and costumes. But for University of Massachusetts students, it’s lobster.

The Halloween lobster dinner is now a 7-year-old tradition, and students do not claim that it will get old. The event, sponsored by the University’s dining services is “a nice treat for students for their hard work and is a great way to celebrate the harvest,” said Executive Director of Food Services Ken Toong.

Tickets were given upon a swipe of a UCard to claim a prize lobster or steak. The dining commons were estimating to dish out about 13,000 pounds of Maine lobster, 5,000 pounds of New York strip steak and 300 gallons of chowder. Some 14,000 students were expected to be served with meal plans, plus the general public who were allowed to eat at the commons for a $15 fee.

Along with lobster, other food served was steak, clam chowder, locally grown vegetables, apple cider and dirt cake. Students were also entertained by tarot readers, table magicians and roaming judges for the costume contest. Such an environment gave much to be excited about.

“I was most excited about trying lobster for the first time,” said freshman Amanda Winkler.