Little things can mean a lot

I cannot tell you how many columns and articles I have read calling for an end to racism, sexism and other ‘isms’ during my time at the University of Massachusetts. Not to mention the number of protests that always seem to shut down whatever part of campus that I need to get to at that time.

Over the past several months, I have come to the realization that, at least at UMass, none of these ‘isms’ are likely to ever be eradicated. How can we possibly combat all of these heinous attitudes that we see in the people around us if we can’t even acknowledge that they have a right to share the planet with us? How can you convince someone to love his fellow humans if, by your own behavior, you yourself exude contempt or ‘- far worse ‘- indifference for their very presence in your vicinity?

Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, ‘Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy.’

What he really meant was that it really takes but a moment to consider the rest of the people in your environment. It takes almost no effort to accommodate them in so many miniscule, yet momentous, ways. I think it is time that we all remember this simple way to show the people around us that we have at least some appreciation that they exist.

Imagine yourself talking with a classmate while walking down a hallway barely wide enough for the two of you. A stranger is walking towards you down the hall. What do you do? What about the same situation on a snow-choked sidewalk? How many of you think to go single file so that the other person is not pushed into the wall, or forced to step in the snow/slush/ice?

I am not talking about going more than a step or two out of your way, or putting yourself out to be nice to others. I merely note that way too many people around here seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that they are not the only beings on Earth. There are over 25,000 students on this campus, and that does not include the faculty, the staff or the many visitors who come on a daily basis. With all these people walking, running or biking from place to place, it would amaze you to see how far a little common courtesy, spread liberally throughout the population, can go.

For example, UMass no doubt spent some ridiculous amount of money painting a clear two-lane bike path between Whitmore and the library plaza, funds which they may be wishing they could recoup right about now. But how many people actually pay attention to it? Never mind the fact that ignoring it guarantees that that money has been wasted, but what is so hard about letting the people who ride have a clear path in which to do so? The distance is the same for you whether you walk in or out of the path, so why not leave it for the cyclists?

Who knows, maybe by showing a little courtesy to the people in your vicinity you might actually enhance the civility of our tragically fractious society. I don’t mean to say that courtesy is somehow the one missing element that will fix all the ills of our community, but does anyone deny that it would be nice if we could all be a bit more civil to each other? And wouldn’t civility be enhanced if we were not all bumping into each other constantly?

A moment’s thought spent on keeping ourselves out of each other’s way could be like our own personal ‘butterfly effect,’ bringing just a little bit more peace to our campus, town, state or world.

Think of it this way ‘- we’ve all heard the saying ‘think globally, act locally,’ right? Well, isn’t the foundation of that very popular aphorism the idea that we can create big changes in the world by taking small actions in our daily lives at home? So while you are thinking about recycling, carpooling or performing community service, how about taking the time to think about being just a bit more considerate of others? After all, if you don’t think these small things add up to big benefits for humanity, then why do any of that stuff at all?

In 1938, F. Scott Fitzgerald came to a realization that I believe is just as appropriate for our tough times as it was for his. ‘My generation of radicals and breakers-down never found anything to take the place of the old virtues of work and courage and the old graces of courtesy and politeness.’

It is telling that he saw fit to place courtesy and politeness on the same high pedestal as work and courage. Now that it has been brought to your attention, will you make any effort to follow F. Scott and Ralph Waldo’s examples?

Ben Rudnick is a Collegian columnist. He can be reached at [email protected].