UMass football announces 2009 schedule, two staff hirings

A year after a grueling schedule nixed the Massachusetts football team’s chances for a third straight playoff appearance, the Minutemen released their 2009 schedule which has the potential to be just as arduous as last year’s.

UMass is currently staring down the barrel of a schedule that features a major FBS opponent and the defending FCS National Champions.

The newly released schedule, which begins on Sept. 5 against FBS opponent Kansas State, will include six games at McGuirk Alumni Stadium, two of which are games against rival New Hampshire and national semifinalist James Madison.

The Minutemen, who missed the playoffs last year, will face four teams that made it last year: New Hampshire, Maine, James Madison and national champion Richmond.

‘We are playing the typical UMass schedule that is ultra-competitive,’ said UMass coach Kevin Morris, who was named the team’s head coach on Jan. 19, replacing Don Brown. ‘Each and every week we will be challenged by some of the top teams in the country. We open with a big game at FBS team Kansas State and then follow that with three home games at McGuirk.

‘We are looking forward to playing in front of our home fans who have been so supportive in recent years. With the lights and the turf and a terrific fan base, we have a true home-field advantage at McGuirk.’

After opening the season against KSU, the Minutemen will host three straight games against Albany, Rhode Island and Stony Brook. Then, following a bye week, UMass enters an intense four-game stretch against Colonial Athletic Association opponents.

Starting off at Delaware, the four-game stretch includes three playoff teams in UNH, Richmond and Maine. The Minutemen play at home in what will likely be a heated matchup against New Hampshire before going on the road against Richmond and Maine.

Following the Maine game will be back-to-back home games against conference foes Northeastern and James Madison. Closing out the season will be a game at Hofstra on Nov. 21.

Coaching changes

With Brown moving on from UMass to become the defensive coordinator at the University of Maryland and Morris being promoted from offensive coordinator to head coach, the UMass team announced two new hirings and other changes amongst the current staff.

Joining the UMass coaching staff will be a former UMass assistant and a coach switching over from a CAA rival.

Dyran Peake, who acted as assistant defensive backs coach, cornerbacks coach and special teams coordinator throughout his four-year tenure at Delaware, was named assistant coach for defensive backs for the Minutemen.

Returning to Amherst will be Steve Tirrell who, after spending two years as associate head coach at Nichols College, will be named associate coach, special teams coordinator and defensive line coach. Tirrell held the same position for four years at UMass before leaving for Nichols in 2007.

As for the Minutemen’s current staff, there will be a number of internal changes.

Filling in Morris’ position as offensive coordinator will be run-game coordinator and offensive line coach Brian Picucci, who is entering his eighth year as a UMass coach. Picucci will retain some of his offensive line duties as he will continue to work with the tackles and tight ends.

Other staff changes include sixth-year coach Guido Falbo moving to coach centers and guards from his old position as running backs coach. Taking up the reins for the running back position will be Mike Wood, who worked as UMass tight ends coach for the past three years.

Nick O’Malley can be reached at [email protected].