Dacko confident heading into Atlantic 10 Tournament battle with Duquesne

When the Massachusetts women’s basketball team started off 1-6 in Atlantic 10 play, it seemed as though the team’s postseason chances were doubtful. After going 4-4 to close out the conference schedule, though, the Minutewomen are playing their best basketball of the season as they go into Friday’s first round matchup against Duquesne in the A-10 Tournament.

As UMass (12-17, 5-9 A-10) heads into the tournament, the difference between the young, inexperienced team that started the season and the battle-tested team they are today is significant.

‘When you look at who we played in the A-10 early on, it was three of the top four teams in the conference,’ UMass coach Marnie Dacko said. ‘So we were coming out of the preseason still trying to get this offense going ‘hellip; I think we are peaking at the right time. I just hope the kids know that it’s a new season and the kids know to leave it out on the line. Because right now, it’s one-and-done.’

The Minutewomen enter the tournament as the No. 11 seed and will take on No. 6 seed Duquesne (19-10, 9-5 A-10). The Dukes emerged victorious in the teams’ first meeting back on Feb. 14, winning 75-61 at the Mullins Center.

That victory was part of Duquesne’s six-game winning streak to close out the season and part of an 8-1 stretch overall. Dacko knows that, as good as her team is playing, the Dukes are currently the hottest team in the conference.

‘They’ve been playing very good basketball. Duquesne has won eight of their last nine games, so they’re on a good roll now,’ Dacko said. ‘We competed the first time, so we should have enough anger inside of us to go out and play hard.’

Leading the Dukes in their second matchup against the Minutewomen is Kristi Little. The 5-foot-4 guard averages 14.9 points per game, but it is on the defensive end of the floor where she really shines. Little earned her second consecutive A-10 Defensive Player of the Year earlier in the week.

Despite Duquesne’s success, Dacko still likes her team’s chances. The Minutewomen had a good start in their first matchup, opening up a 10-point lead in the first half, but cooled off in the second half.

‘We match up well with them. They’re smaller in the post, but they’re very aggressive. For us, it’s another shot at them,’ she said. ‘They beat us, and our kids have to have enough incentive to go out and really take them down at a neutral site.’

UMass’ success will hinge greatly upon the performance of Teya Wright, who is only one game removed from a concussion that forced her to miss a game. In her first game back, an 82-66 win over La Salle, Wright notched 14 points and seven rebounds. But against the Dukes, the sophomore will have to step up from a subpar effort in the teams’ first meeting.

‘Teya’s going to have a huge impact,’ Dacko said. ‘She was 1-for-6 the first go-round, [Kristina] Danella was 1-for-9 the first go-round. So we didn’t really get scoring form the two of them and those are our significant post players.

‘It’s a huge game for her and it’s kind of a coming-of-age party now. She’s got to step up now. [Her] sophomore year’s over, [she’s] got to play like an upperclassman.’

Should the Minutewomen win in their first round game, their next opponent would be No. 3 seed ‘- and host team ‘- Charlotte. That game’s winner will go on to face one of three teams: Saint Joseph‘s, St. Bonaventure or Temple.

Nick O’Malley can be reached at [email protected].