News in Brief: Vehicle identified in fatal crash involving UMass student

While the vehicle responsible for the accident which killed former University of Massachusetts Amherst student Blake Goodman and injured his friend John Deary remains at large, investigators have determined what they believe to be the make and model.

A September 17 press release from Amherst Police Department spokesman Ronald Young states that investigators have determined the vehicle is a black Geo Prizm from the late 1990s. Initial reports stated the vehicle was thought to be a black Ford sedan.

The vehicle should have sustained heavy damage to the front passenger side, and may be missing a passenger side mirror, damage to the passenger side panels, and possibly a cracked windshield.

The Massachusetts State Police lab has been involved in analyzing the evidence recovered from the scene, and the Amherst police release calls the lab “instrumental” in examining the physical evidence.

Investigators believe that more witnesses may have been in the area around the accident, which took place on Montague Road in Amherst, at the time, around 10:30 on September 12. Anyone with information pertinent to the case is asked to call the Amherst Police at 413-259-300 or the CRIMETIP line at 413-259-3344.

-Collegian Staff