Beam breaks school record for all-time points leader

With two victories over Saint Joseph’s and Temple during this past weekend’s play, Charlotte extended its winning streak over Atlantic 10 competition to 26 games. The impressive weekend of play also moved the 49ers up to No. 25 in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America rankings.

Goals from Jonna Handra, Hailey Beam, Kirby Stenard, Macky Wingo and Whitney Weinraub helped Charlotte (15-2-1, 9-0-1 A-10) to a 5-0 shutout over the Owls (6-11-1, 2-8-0 A-10). Handra started off the scoring for the 49ers with a goal in the 16th minute from a Weinraub assist. Three minutes later, Beam increased her career goals to 35 with a rebounded shot. Weinraub executed a second assist to Stenard for the third goal in the first half, and the scoring continued into the second half with a goal from Wingo. Two assists were not enough for Weinraub as she scored the last goal of the game in the 69th minute, marking the 30th of her career.

Lauren Brown and Jessica Barton shared goalkeeping duties to give Charlotte its 12th shutout of the season.

Whitney Bryant joined Beam and Weinraub to produce the three goals that gave the 49ers a win over Saint Joseph’s (7-8-3, 4-5-1 A-10).

Saint Joseph’s scored its one and only goal early in the first half. In the 35th minute, Bryant tied up the game with her first goal of the season. Weinraub’s goal in the 66th minute put Charlotte in the lead. Beam capitalized on a free kick to give the 49ers the 3-1 win. Beam’s second goal of the weekend moved her career points to 103, a new school record for all-time points leader. She also tied Courtney Cook’s record of 36 career goals.

The two victories not only made Charlotte a nationally ranked team, but also kept its NSCAA Mid-Atlantic ranking at No. 1.

Flyers soaring in A-10

Dayton extended its unbeaten streak to 17 games with victories over Massachusetts and Rhode Island. The Flyer’s defense also recorded its 12th shutout of the season.

Friday’s game versus the Rams (5-11-1, 3-6-0 A-10) was dominated by Dayton (12-0-5, 8-0-1 A-10), who outshot URI, 21-8. The game remained scoreless until the 51st minute when junior Tori Oelschlanger took a pass from Kelly Blumeschein and headed the ball into the net. A second goal, scored by fellow junior Allison Giner in the 83rd minute, ensured the Flyers the win.

Freshman goalkeeper Katherine Boone made five saves for Dayton. She improved her goals against average to .27, ranking her No. 1 in the A-10.

Sunday’s game against UMass (4-10-2, 3-6-0 A-10) proved to have a similar outcome as seniors Lauren MacCormick and Mandi Bäck led the offense for the 3-0 win. MacCormick took an assist from Colleen Williams to open up scoring in the first minute of play. Bäck gave the Flyers a second goal in 17th minute. Bäck wrapped up the scoring early in the second half when Blumeschein executed her second assist of the weekend for the win. The goal served as Bäck’s 36th career score, tying her in fourth place for all-time goals scored in Dayton history.

The two shutouts from the Flyers defense kept its number of goals allowed this season to five. One more shutout will tie the school’s record of 13 set in 2004.

Bonnies take OT thriller

After a loss to George Washington Friday night, St. Bonaventure redeemed itself in a double overtime victory against Richmond.

The Colonials (6-7-4, 3-4-2 A-10) recieved a lone goal by Sierra Smidinger in the fifth minute. The Bonnie’s (9-8, 6-2 A-10) offense was unable to score the equalizer, giving George Washington the 1-0 win. St. Bonaventure had seven shots on goal in the second half, but could not capitalize on any.

On the defensive end, Colonial’s goalkeeper Lindsey Rowe had seven saves for the win, just two more than the Bonnie’s Nicole Markert.

Neither St. Bonaventure nor Richmond (8-8-2, 4-4-1 A-10) could connect with the goal during Sunday’s first overtime period. It was sophomore Tori Burchett who broke the tie in the 107th minute of double overtime. scoring her fifth goal of the season off of an assist from sophomore Janelle Taylor. The Bonnies recorded a 16-11 advantage in shots.

Richmond keeper Melissa Pacheco had a total of seven saves. Markert helped out for the win with four saves to mark her fifth shutout of the season.

Geena Lombardi can be reached at [email protected].